"Let me introduce myself, I'm a man of....."

surf1div1

Feb 10, 2020
Santa Susana, CA
So, first time pool owner and in the later stages of life- retired. Live in SoCal (my whole life) and just recently moved into our last home we'll ever own. I'll be frank- I wasn't looking for a home with a pool but trying to find a ranch home, turnkey condition and upgraded got us to where I'm @ and with some trepidation, I'm going to take on the pool maintenance myself. Beside the economics of a DIY (I wrench my bike so figured I would tip my toe into the mechanics of this as well) and love the gratification of problem solving when it works out. Additionally, the prior service that the prior owner had was a little suspect upon my initial intro (salt cell over 5 years old and a current reading of 2300 even after a shock/40 lb bag of salt, no prior drainage (the pool is about 15+ years) and I'll leave the rest to my post on the stuck pump basket for feedback. In any case, pretty much a empty nester who loves the outdoors and now have another venue to recreate in.

Hi and Welcome to TFP! You are going to love how your pool looks after you take over the care with your own test kit! If it is clear now wait until you get in balance using your own test kit. Here is a link to the different test kits.
Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool I think the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use most often. Look in my siggy below to find the link to where to buy it. Add in the speed stir to make your testing even easier and fun!

Here is a set of link I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info but it will start to sink in after you start using it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

Hi there! You'll get all the help you will need right here to keep a beautiful sparkly pool. And you'll be surprised how easy and fun it actually is. (In case you didnt know pictures are a requirement around these parts:p:ROFLMAO:)

Surf,

Welcome aboard! We have lots of people that start out like you. You've got some nice equipment from the start that should make it easier to get into TFP gorgeous pool bliss pretty quickly. Do read the articles Kim referenced and get your test kit on order asap if you want to implement TFP methodology. That's your first step. "Free" pool store tests just never work here. Our methodology is a little different because it's designed to keep your pool perfect with dirt cheap generic chemicals not high $ potions that pool stores often push. It's based on very sound science and supported by experts that have nothing to sell, they just like to help.

I hope this is helpful and I'm Looking forward to your posts!

Chris

Welcome! I think you will find great support here to get you through any "opportunities" the pool provides you. And for the regular maintenance, all will be well once the knowledge/lingo sinks in.