Less than a year...

SGropp

May 2, 2019
Magnolia, TX
Hi folks! Had my new pool less than a year. It is about 15,000 gallons, pebble tech plaster, chlorine pool. Another member, and good friend, finally convinced me to get a Taylor testing kit and really keep after my pool. (I let it slip a little during the winter).

I just tested my CH and I came up with about 210 to 220ppm. So, is that a problem? Is there anything I should do about a low CH?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TFP! Yea for a neighbor that uses TFP and told you about us!!

You are already so far ahead with you pool care by having a great test kit the rest will be easy. It is a lot of info and there is a learning curve but we can and will walk you through it all. After a while you will be able to just look at your pool and know what it needs!

I have a set of links I put together for new owners. I bet this will be very helpful to you:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

Reactions: SGropp
Kimkats,

Thanks. I've been reading for a month now, but finally got tired of guessing what levels are. And thanks to prodding from my buddy...
PoolGate, Here are my levels from Monday and Tuesday:

FC 9.4 (I had just shocked the day prior)
CC .5
CYA 50
PH 7.3 (added acid, prior reading was 7.9 Maybe added a little too much)
CH 210

When it comes to adding liquid Chlorine, do I just pour it straight into the pool? I have been using the pucks, but due to my CYA level I think I need to move to the liquid.
Thanks for the help!

Watch the CYA this time of year, with all of the rain, that can get diluted and washed out through your overflow. As for liquid chlorine, you can either batch add by just pouring it in, or you can get a dosing pump like a stenner and have it pump in a small amount every day automatically.
pH should be fine. Rain and water flow (like a waterfall or other feature) will usually drive pH up over time. Also, depending on your fill water, that can drive it up too.

Reactions: SGropp
Can you also add TA to your pool measurements above?

Kimkats,

Thanks. I've been reading for a month now, but finally got tired of guessing what levels are. And thanks to prodding from my buddy...
PoolGate, Here are my levels from Monday and Tuesday:

FC 9.4 (I had just shocked the day prior)
CC .5
CYA 50
PH 7.3 (added acid, prior reading was 7.9 Maybe added a little too much)
CH 210

When it comes to adding liquid Chlorine, do I just pour it straight into the pool? I have been using the pucks, but due to my CYA level I think I need to move to the liquid.
Thanks for the help!

What test kit are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.