Leslie's now has this electronic test tool, looks like LaMotte.

nikon5400

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, sorry if it was.

I tested water at two locations and reading were almost identical.

However, some readings on this tool are very different from Taylor - CYA is about 30-40% higher, CH 30-40% lower.

I think the reason they switched to this tool is for testing to be consistent across stores. I just don't understand how the readings can be so different from Taylor

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
nik,

You won't ever get consistency across the pool stores because they lack uniform training, equipment, and equipment maintenance. There are a few stores that have one or two that really know what they're doing. Problem is you never know who this is or what location it is. And even then the good ones often have to rely on other's "daily" calibration that may or may not be done. I could go on but I think you get the point. This is why we recommend using the test kits we use. Your results will be far more reliable and accurate than any "free" pool store test. If anything you could check them against your results. But why do this anyway?

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Wobblerlorri

nikon5400

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
nik,

You won't ever get consistency across the pool stores because they lack uniform training, equipment, and equipment maintenance. There are a few stores that have one or two that really know what they're doing. Problem is you never know who this is or what location it is. And even then the good ones often have to rely on other's "daily" calibration that may or may not be done. I could go on but I think you get the point. This is why we recommend using the test kits we use. Your results will be far more reliable and accurate than any "free" pool store test. If anything you could check them against your results. But why do this anyway?

I hope this helps.

Chris
I know. I use Taylor myself. I was out of CYA reagent (had old one), so I tested water at 2 Leslie's locations. To my surprise the results were identical. I guess this tool is too new and didn't need calibration, that's why results are the same. But why their results are so different than mine (Taylor ) is a mystery to me. Maybe it needs to be calibrated before first use. I was suspicious of inaccurate CYA reading because of high chlorine usage... and after confirming with new fresh Taylor I'm adding stabilizer.

I just wanted to warn everybody about Leslie's readings, which are now consistent but wrong.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
I think the reason they switched to this tool is for testing to be consistent across stores.
You give them far too much credit...

The reason they switched to that tool is to sell the aura of elitism. It is implemented to give the impression that you can't get the accuracy or precision of their testing at home so you must bring your water in to get tested. And thus they accomplish the goal of having it: to get you in the door and talking to a salesperson. Worked twice on you, yeah? Maybe you didn't buy anything, but you talked to two of their salespeople so you were in a position to buy something that you wouldn't have been if they hadn't gotten these shiny new things.

As you noticed, neither accuracy nor precision are in the cards. Nor are they necessary to accomplish the goal of bringing in potential customers. Calibration is not important, pushing sales are. So there's no difference between this and any other pool store testing. Unreliable and not to be trusted.