Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Total Control PPC3
We live in the Northeast. They are coming today to close the pool. In preparation, I lowered the water yesterday, and set everything up for them. I have four gallons of liquid shock left over from the season. Do I just dump it in and it should help things for the winter? Do I store it?

I keep reading that despite the fact that it's sealed, it degrades over time. Essentially, is there any harm in tossing it into the pool?

Essentially, is there any harm in tossing it into the pool?
Only if you do it all willy nilly with no regard for the FC/CYA Levels.

SLAM is preferred for closing anyway, or half SLAM with PolyQuat.

But.

Make darn sure the closing company adds nothing else.

I use my leftovers for cleaning. Between the part of the fence that's old, the vinyl siding, the shed, the outdoor furniture....... there's always something that could use a good bleaching.

I always have some leftover- i use it for the hot tub in the winter & pool startup in the spring. The heat & sunlight is what degrades it most. I store mine outside under the deck in the shade.
If its a little less potent I just use more to compensate when the time comes.
I would use what you need to raise to slam level & keep the rest stored properly.

Ahhhh! Forgot about the SLAM! Therefore...this stuff is no longer "extra".

I noticed that last year they threw in algecide. Afterward I grabbed the bottle and noticed that it has copper in it. Assuming I should tell them to save themselves the expense of the algecide and skip it?

The only way to ensure you don't get magic potions thrown in, or harmful ones nonetheless, is for you to handle the chemicals. They may or may not reduce their price.

Either way, you handle the chems. (y)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I always tell them not to put in any chems in the water and they cut the price by about $75. I also always make sure they note that I won't pay for any chems added. During opening this year they added 5 gallons of liquid chlorine which they had to eat since it's noted on my account that I won't pay for any chems that get added, so when they closed this time they made sure not to add anything.

I also always make sure they note that I won't pay for any chems added
Does your closing company itemize? If so, it would be easy to specify don't add chems and if you do I won't pay from them. If it is a flat closing fee including chems, then discussing prior is very important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.