Left TF-100 test kit in the sun

xmvaldez

Jul 8, 2020
Antioch, CA
I accidentally left my test kit in the back patio for a few days. The porch is covered but direct sun was on the kit for a few hours each day. Do I need to replace all of the chemicals? Thanks. This is my first year owning and maintaining a pool.

Hi, and welcome to TFP! What type of test kit (brand and model)? If it's an inexpensive one, or inadequate, the question is moot. You need a proper test kit to take care of your pool properly. If you're interested, we can show you how, and what you need.

If you're asking about a high-quality kit, what are the expiration dates on each chemical? You might be trying to salvage something that needs replacing anyway.

I'm skirting your question because I don't know enough about your kit, and I don't really know how long it would take that kind of exposure to ruin it. I'm just trying to ascertain if it even matters.

• Wow
Reactions: Flying Tivo
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Get a refill kit for the TF-100. Throw away all the old chemistry. (you can keep the R-0013 but that's it) The pH indicator is shot. So is the R-0011L. Maybe others. The only item you can confidently salvage is the R-0013.

Testing is far too important to dibble-dabble trying to save a few bucks in case others are still good. You will NEVER have faith in your important test results unless you can have faith in the reagents. It was a $49.00 mistake which certainly isn't chump change but the whole idea of these high end kits is to get dependable, repeatable and precise results.

Each reagent will have an expiration date. And you'll go through them, some sooner than others. You can buy a refill kit once a year, to make it simple, or replace one at a time, as you use them up or as they expire. Up to you.

Thank you. The kit is 3 months old. Looks like I will get a refill for the whole kit. Will I need to replace again next summer?
Odds on favor say the refill you get this year will last you all next year as well, depending on how frequently you test. Take a look at the article below which will help you understand when reagents went bad.

With all due resect for the previous posters, If it was me, I wouldn't be so quick to order up a replacement for 3-month old reagents. Unless I was getting results that varied from previous results, I would hang on to what you have. Option 2 would be order up a set of refills and test with both when you get them. If they're the same, store the refills inside in a cool dark dark place and break them out next summer.

If it was me, I wouldn't be so quick to order up a replacement for 3-month old reagents. Unless I was getting results that varied from previous results, I would hang on to what you have. Option 2 would be order up a set of refills and test with both when you get them. If they're the same, store the refills inside in a cool dark dark place and break them out next summer.
Penny wise and pound foolish. I understand the reagents involved. I understand their viability is really compromised when exposed to heat.

I also understand that if you decide to use your heat exposed reagents (saving what.....30-40 dollars over the next couple of years? ), You will be the very FIRST to wonder about the results of your tests and whether or not you are able to manage your pool as TFP suggests.....with repeatable and precision results.

Final thought.....all the chemistry in the TF-100 is from Taylor Technologies.....same regent numbers, same everything. Give them a call and see what they suggest.

Almost forgot......the new reagents would last you two swimming seasons easily.

Reactions: proavia and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with Dave on this one. Just because the eclair only had one bite out of it, and was sitting on top of the trash on it's little paper doily for just a few minutes, it's still garbage! Mike's MO has a logic to it, but unless you do that comparison test regularly, you're never going to be sure the exposed reagents won't poop out at some later date. It's like using test strips because once their result was just like the FAS-DPD result...

With all due resect for the previous posters, If it was me, I wouldn't be so quick to order up a replacement for 3-month old reagents. Unless I was getting results that varied from previous results, I would hang on to what you have. Option 2 would be order up a set of refills and test with both when you get them. If they're the same, store the refills inside in a cool dark dark place and break them out next summer.
Hey Rancho - I have nothing to add, other than to say I would do exactly what you recommended in option #2. As my wife tells me multiple times a day, I'm a cheap 🤬.

Go with what Dave says. Gonna cost more in bleach after a SLAM.

I order the refill in March every year with and XL Option. I have small container for CL checking (reagents, speedstir, sample sizer and vial.) Because there is one day I forget to bring in the kit. Happens every year. SQUIRREL!!!! Get distracted and forget. I order an XL when I find it out. Then I am ready for opening the next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.