LED lighting ? Can a Tan/red pool be made to look dark blue at night?

Chi Town

Feb 19, 2019
Chicago
Trying to layout final design of in-ground pool 10x50 by 5' deep. While I am looking to make the backyard (yes in Chicago) look somewhat western, I am looking to plaster/paint or tile the color towards a tan/redish brown. However I have a deep desire to have it look very deep blue at night. Two images attached give you an "idea" of the color of the pool walls during the day, and at night.
Is it possible to utilize LED lighting to create the deep blue look at night, or "no" as it would require a more lighter tint or blue color plaster/paint?
A) I am somewhat color blind, outside of blue so if color described is off compared to photo, go by photo color.:cool:
B) Have not selected final wall type yet, as overall pool and yard transformation will dictate direction.

Thanks in advance and I did do some searching, but anything I pulled up discussed general models people find reliable but not the affect based on wall color with respect to lighting color.

Attachments

• Pool Color Idea D blue night.jpg
    Pool Color Idea D blue night.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Pool Wall Color Idea C.jpg
    Pool Wall Color Idea C.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 12
I think the pool water color when lit at night will mainly reflect the light color and not be influenced a lot by the plaster and tile color.

The pool color idea pic shows a pinkish light. You will need to find what light color is most satisfying to you.

Reactions: Chi Town
Not really. The reason materials are a certain color is because they reflect that color and absorb the other colors. For a finish to be reddish-tan it must absorb most of the blue light shone on it. Depending on how red the finish was you would anything from a dull blue to a very unpleasant dark brown.

For an example, I am growing some grass plugs to fill in some bare spots in my lawn. I'm using a red-blue grow light, and under that light the grass appears a very dark brown. When a white light is shone on it the green in that light is reflected and it looks normal.

You might consider keeping the theming for the area around the pool but do the actual pool finish in a light blue. A watering hole/oasis theme. This would be a compromise that will give you a southwestern feel for the pool area, and at night the deep blue light of the pool would be a pleasant contrast.

Reactions: Chi Town and BMK
You might consider keeping the theming for the area around the pool but do the actual pool finish in a light blue. A watering hole/oasis theme. This would be a compromise that will give you a southwestern feel for the pool area, and at night the deep blue light of the pool would be a pleasant contrast.

+1 on this ^ advice.

A tan finish is going to give you kind of a blueish greenish water color anyway. I think a white or light blue pool finish will fit your theme better. And it will definitely help with the night lights!

You can see in my profile pic, or the flickr pics in my signature link, I have a tan concrete deck with a light blue pool finish. You can see a photo in there as well of dark blue led lights at night on the pale blue finish.

Reactions: Chi Town
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.