Reading PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good evening TFP! I would like to replace this entire light with a new one (the current one is half full of water and causes the breaker to trip). I would like to go to a color changing, LED bulb. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about switching? I am able to do the install myself, I am just not confident in selecting the correct light fixture and bulb. I don’t want to spend the money on a new but incorrect light and bulb …. TYIA for your guidance

Attachments

• 693D1AE6-EEE8-451D-ACE9-9FD3C7D82940.jpeg
    693D1AE6-EEE8-451D-ACE9-9FD3C7D82940.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 100B501D-D090-4FAB-A962-E1E237AA8481.jpeg
    100B501D-D090-4FAB-A962-E1E237AA8481.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 24
Most have been going with sunseeker LED lights...They will change color every time you turn them on and off.. :) Give them a call and tell them you have a Pentair light with a 30 foot cord model # 7884XX, 7844XX, 7894XX

Also found this on Inyo, they say you can replace just the light inside and get a new gasket..

Most have been going with sunseeker LED lights...They will change color every time you turn them on and off.. :) Give them a call and tell them you have a Pentair light with a 30 foot cord model # 7884XX, 7844XX, 7894XX

Also found this on Inyo, they say you can replace just the light inside and get a new gasket..
Are you saying I may not need to replace the whole fixture? If I don’t need to incur the expense, that would be great. I figured since the inside was 1/3 full of water and the breaker was tripping that I didn’t have a choice. Thoughts? Could I possibly buy a bulb and a new gasket and try it?

If your existing light is leaking and full of water, I would think the electronics are a total loss and look towards complete replacement. Especially if you plan on running a new cord anyway.

As far as I can tell there are no electronics in the light niche... it is only the bulb... The reason it was tripping is because water was in the light touching the positive and negative.. With a new gasket and seal it should be fine..

With that said a new light from Sunseeker would take care of the whole thing and be nice and new :)

I was in a similar boat and decided replace my light last weekend. My old fixture was in pretty rough condition, so I decided to get a new fixture (Pentair Incandescent light model # 78448100). I was able to get it at my local pool store for $230, and then I replaced the bulb with a PAL Sonar Retro bulb (model # 64-PAL-SRL-RGB-120). $240, also sold at my local pool store. The bulb itself was more money than I had planned on spending, but it comes with a remote to change the colors/brightness and works really well so far. It also supposedly has a 3 year warranty, which I hopefully won't have to use, but I have read reviews about some LED retrofit bulbs not lasting very long, so the warranty made me feel good about it.

Overall, the process of changing out the fixture wasn't too bad. Just pulled out the old fixture, cut the wire, stripped the wires back a bit and tied them to the new wires, wrapped it in some electrical tape and duct tape, and then pushed the wire through from the pool while someone was pulling from the other end.

In total, it cost me about $500, and now I have a new fixture, LED color changing bulb, and the confidence that it will last a while because it is all brand new. It was more money than I was hoping, but still less than buying a new LED Pentair or Hayward fixture, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I was in a similar boat and decided replace my light last weekend. My old fixture was in pretty rough condition, so I decided to get a new fixture (Pentair Incandescent light model # 78448100). I was able to get it at my local pool store for $230, and then I replaced the bulb with a PAL Sonar Retro bulb (model # 64-PAL-SRL-RGB-120). $240, also sold at my local pool store. The bulb itself was more money than I had planned on spending, but it comes with a remote to change the colors/brightness and works really well so far. It also supposedly has a 3 year warranty, which I hopefully won't have to use, but I have read reviews about some LED retrofit bulbs not lasting very long, so the warranty made me feel good about it.

Overall, the process of changing out the fixture wasn't too bad. Just pulled out the old fixture, cut the wire, stripped the wires back a bit and tied them to the new wires, wrapped it in some electrical tape and duct tape, and then pushed the wire through from the pool while someone was pulling from the other end.

In total, it cost me about $500, and now I have a new fixture, LED color changing bulb, and the confidence that it will last a while because it is all brand new. It was more money than I was hoping, but still less than buying a new LED Pentair or Hayward fixture and I'm pretty happy with it.
Great information!! Thank you!!

I just did that. I put in an LED. Prior to that, I floated the base in the water to check for a cord leak just in case. BTW, mine was the same base as a regular light bulb. My led was by Toveenen, made in China of course.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.