Learning about DE filter

tfsnowrider

Apr 22, 2022
Ashburn, VA
I'm a new pool owner and learning a ton here.

mineral springs SWG
big Jandy DE filter 60 sf
30k gal pool/spa
intelliflow VST 2

I opened (de-winderized) the spa myself in Feb when we moved in. Pool guys put the filter grid in the garage and I had no idea what to do :) It had a bunch of grey/white stuff on it which I now know was a conbination of DE and sediment. i knocked it off a bit but didn't clean it well. Added DE per the Jandy user guide, all seemed ok for just the spa through the Spring.

Fast forward to openeing the pool... again all seemed ok for a couple months. Water flow has been fairly slow but I figured that was just my system, and the DE PSI hadn't risen. Then my salinity got a bit low. Not thinking, I added a salt booster to the skimmer as opposed to sprinkling it around the pool. The SWG immediately went "over mineral" and the level got up to 3400. Mineral Springs recommends 2800 to 3300. So i ran the pump for about 36 hours to try and move everything through. but the flow had gotten so low that I couldn't get rid of the "no flow" light, even at 3450 RPM and still not a big jump in PSI. So I decided to backwash. To my surprise the water was completely clear immediately. As such i let it wash for about 2 min and stopped. I added new DE, however I didn't rinse so I'm wondering how bad of an issue that is.

Here's what's weird to me. The PSI at 3000 RPM is exactly the same as it was before the backwash but the flow is amazing. My skimmers and vacuum are pulling in so much, and the pool is crystal clear. The Pressure guage is dynamic and responsive to changes in RPM etc so i think that's ok. Could the massive influx of salt have clogged the filter? Why was the backwash clean?

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Welcome to TFP.

As you learned, never add any chemicals into the skimmer.

I know when my DE filter needs to be cleaned by the drop in flow over my spillover. To me it is a better indication of when backwashing is needed then the PSI gauge.

FYI, the Mineral Springs SWG system are overpriced chemicals with just pool salt mixed with borates and CYA.

You can replace bags of Beginnings with normal pool salt. I like Mortons Pool Salt that I get from Walmart. I don’t recommend you use Clorox Pool Salt.

You can stop adding Renewal. Just add Pool Salt when your salt level gets low.

Check your CYA with your own test kit and add dry stabilizer when needed.

Over time you will lose the Borates and the silky feel of the water. You can check your borate level and add it separately.

See What's in those Mineral Springs bags?

tfsnowrider

Apr 22, 2022
Ashburn, VA
Thanks @ajw22

I learned early to just go with salt vs. the mineral springs product. I did go with Clorox pool grade salt, so I'm womdering why you prefer Mortons.

I have a TF-100 kit and am getting my CYA in a good place. I have a totally opaque automatic cover so it stays covered at least 20 hours/day. I did read a great article on here about the CYA to FC ratio to control active chlorine so I'm still exploring that.

Now that I have a better idea of what my flow should be, I'll keep an eye on that in conjunction with PSI to know when to backwash.

Borates are a new one for me, I'll check it out.

thanks!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I did go with Clorox pool grade salt, so I'm womdering why you prefer Mortons.

Clorox Pool Salt has been reported by multiple members to stain pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread