Leaky pump - 7 year old Hayward Super II Pump 1HP

Aug 2, 2010
I started losing a bit of water and I see that there is water dripping off the pad that my pump is on. It looks like the pump is leaking at the bottom, but I can't tell exactly where. The top of the pump looks like a little bit of rust from within the metal sleeve. There is a little bit of corrosion where the pump meets the housing... it may be leaking around there.

The pump is otherwise running just fine. Is a leaky pump at this age worth fixing? I am handy and not afraid to take something apart. A new Hayward Super II Pump 1HP is $579 at Pinch A Penny. If I remember right, I bought this on line for quite a bit cheaper than retail back in 2003, so I figure the Pinch a Penny price is the *most* I would ever pay for it. What maintenance can I do to extend the life of the pump?

If I did have to buy a new pump, what are some good options? This is a typical in ground, marcite surface, chlorine shock and chips, 15x30 rectangle with 8 1/2' deep round, 3 1/2' shallow (?17000 gallons?), 2 returns.

It is probably the shaft seal leaking.

I just had my super pump apart and there really isn't much to it -- just trip the breaker before you start, watch for markings that say "UP" and keep your fingers off sealing surfaces of the new carbon/ceramic seal.

You can replace the shaft seal and the pump software for about $40 or so (depends upon where you buy it and what the shipping charges are). Here is one link that is handy (but you might find it cheaper somewhere else if you look around):

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_pumps_hayward_super_II.htm

Hope that helps,
Gordon

Thanks, sounds like I might give my hand at tearing apart the pump. Are there any example videos you can point me to?

BTW, when I turn off the pump, I shear a hissing sound coming from the pump near the point where the motor connects to the plastic body. I think that is the air getting in as the water leaves the pump, making it longer to start up (self priming).

Any other gotchas or advise before I try this? I piped it in with universal joints (like what the NorthStar comes with), so that makes it easy to pull in and out. I have ratchet and wrench sets. I suppose I really don't know everything I need until I take it apart. To give me the most time, I should probably shock the pool the day before I pull the pump, eh?

Thanks, sounds like I might give my hand at tearing apart the pump. Are there any example videos you can point me to?

BTW, when I turn off the pump, I shear a hissing sound coming from the pump near the point where the motor connects to the plastic body. I think that is the air getting in as the water leaves the pump, making it longer to start up (self priming).

Any other gotchas or advise before I try this? I piped it in with universal joints (like what the NorthStar comes with), so that makes it easy to pull in and out. I have ratchet and wrench sets. I suppose I really don't know everything I need until I take it apart. To give me the most time, I should probably shock the pool the day before I pull the pump, eh?

Did you use teflon tape for the threaded joints? My PB did not use it during build and I developed leaks, pulled the unions and used teflon tape on the threads and leak stopped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.