East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My hot tub was going from 3600 ppm to 3000 ppm salt every two days, so I knew I had a leak. I have identified two problem areas so far: (1) the top of one of the two pumps for the jets; and (2) the bottom of my Hayward C500 cartridge filter. Photos attached.

The pump spills out significant water when it runs - I believe I need to replace the fitting that screws into the top of the pump (Hayward Superpump). I am not sure how much water leaks from the filter though - seems minimal. As best I can tell it is leaking from the plug at the bottom. The piece looks to have deteriorated and my guess is that I should replace it. The filter itself was either 2000 or 2011 vintage ( I think the former) based on when the house was built and when pool equipment was renovated.

Is the plug something I can buy and replace? I can google part CX250Z14A for my Hayward C500 filter, which is pretty cheap (less than $10), but is this likely to solve my problem?

As for the top of the pump, I removed the fitting and will try to re-attach using plaits-joing stick or some other PVC pipe dope product. The threads do not look so bad on the fitting so its worth trying to re-use. There is still deteriorated teflon tape on the pump where the fitting attaches - not sure how best to remove.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3613.jpg
    IMG_3613.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks. I just remeasured and they are indeed 2" fittings, 2" threads (see photo). I have a question though. The pump has a 2" union going in. I ordered a replacement:

But the union connects to a quick disconnect release - I believe the existing is a Lasco F1970 which I cannot find on Amazon. I am ordering this as a replacement:

But my question is, can I just replace one end, or must I replace both ends of the quick disconnect. If I must replace both, I think I may need to replace the other side as well. Please see my photos. I have two 2-HP Superpumps powering my jets and they are both hooked together. If I remove top side of the old quick disconnect, I must replace the T as well. And that will lead to even more new piping.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 8
ok, I have used 6 of the high temp unions for 9 years and not one of them have leaked... If it was me I would replace all 4 at the same time.. I have also pulled my pump out 4 times and when reinstalled it still has not leaked... :)

So for 40 bucks and an hour of working new pipe you could have a permanent leak free set of pumps :)

I see why you are hesitating, that is 2 times the pain of getting 2 pumps exactly the same...

It's actually 2 two-packs and 4 of the F1970 quick disconnects, plus the T and L joints, if I do the whole thing. Ideally I'd replace the 4 connections to the pump but not need to replace all the other joints. Unless the CMP has the quick disconnect built in. I cannot tell from the photos.

Last edited:
no need for the other unions as the new unions have the disconnect in them... :)

This part is the union

1625599779015.png

This part has the o ring that stop it from leaking :)

1625599860278.png

You are exactly right though, way more involved to change over.. the problem you are having now is going to happen to the rest of them.. the suction side gets worse as it starts adding air and not leaking...

My spa pump too... At least I dont need separate unions. That pump's union is dripping as well.

Two other questions ...

1) The "2-pack" is for two separate joints, so I really only need to buy 2 2-packs/ Is that right?
2) What is teh best way to clean the female receptacle on the pump to get rid of the residual teflon tape from prior fitting?

Thanks again,

1. that is correct, you get 2, so only need to order 2 sets for a total of 4 unions..

2. I think some kind of brush to get the big stuff out.. other than that as long as the threads are still good leave it... remember when installing those new unions the o ring gets smashed on the top of the pump, so you want to go all the way to the pump where they touch but you do not want to crush the o ring.. :)

I certainly need to replace the fitting at the spa pump too. The union had a small leak. I opened it to see what was going on and now I cannot control the leak (its much worse). Any ideas? I tried to clean the O -ring - its stretched and there was calcium everywhere. See photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wow... the calcium should come off with a diluted muriatic acid.. those have been leaking for awhile to have that much buildup in them..

I just noticed your setup. Dual intakes and return sharing the same pipe. That's a first for me to see, goes against everything I know piping wise. I guess it works fine for your setup. What happens if one pump is off do you get reduced flow or is half the tub off?

Reactions: cowboycasey
I've never tested it with one pump off. I guess I will now that I am servicing myself and very curious (once I have the pump reconnected). I have two 2-hp pumps powering 8 spa jets - seems like massive overkill (plus a commercial aerator). I did not design the system.

Last edited:
I am working on replumbing - I actually did it Monday and the new joints leaked so I am going to redo and be more careful with the PVC glue (and switching to grey - thicker cement). But do I really want the pumps sharing the same piping? The more I think about it, the more I believe it is problematic.

Do I need to worry about the glue drying too fast? That happened to me on Monday. I was twisting the pipe and it hardened before I could get the orientation right.

Just tested with one pump only and all jets run. If I separate, my only concern is will the air blower go to all jets or only to four of them. The connection to air blower is buried so I cannot tell its piping. It might go into both lines with a Y, or only go in once and get divided up "naturally".

I capped the pipes that joined the pumps. When I run one pump, all 8 jets get some flow (though 4 much more forcefully) and I can see water stirring and flowing slowly in the window of pump not on. Runs well with all 8 jets with caps and both pumps. The air blower must flow to both pumps and jin the circulation, though the joint is buried. I am going to take out the T connectors and run each pump on its own (remove the joint), See photo of caps.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.