Leaking pool

Jun 17, 2012
Just found this forum yesterday after deciding we had a leak and needed to fix it. Another thread on here had a similar leak and found it in the underground piping.
Ours leaks when its off or on. Based on what I have read, its a suction side leak. Assuming of course that the fittings and liner are not the problem. It typically drops to the level of the skimmer we think. I have closed off the skimmer hole with a ball to see if it will hold tonight. I had it partially closed and it seemed to slow the rate of fall but is still dropping. We have a swimout, opposite the skimmer, that has two jets in it that are only on when the valve is open. A jacuzzi type swimout? Anyway, the wife thinks that is the problem. At this point we aren't sure. Obviously calling a leak detector is the best bet but $300-400 isn't really what I want to put out right now.
So I started digging down at the pump to see if I could find anything. From the 90 at the bottom of the pipes about 2' towards the pool I have found water. I dug under the deck as much as I could and the whole is gaining water. My next step, if I think this is the area of the leak, is to pull up a section of the concrete so I can get to the next set of couplings to see if its there. From the pump to the skimmer is only about 10 feet but most is under concrete. I assume that the drain and skimmer pipes will turn under the concrete before they get to the pool walls. Not sure though. I guess the question after the rambling is, if I see water like I see, should I go ahead and follow this or is it possible that the leak is on the other side of the pool and just migrating around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/img]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/pantherfan3763/6013f444.jpg[/img]

8307859b.jpg

A suction side leak would stop dripping or losing water when the pump is on. If it is definitely losing while the pump is running, it is very doubtful the leak is in your suction piping.

After I thought it was the skimmer leaking I decided to dig from the pump to as far as I could toward the pool. The closer I have gotten to the pool, the water is really leeching into the hole. We havent had rain in a while so I can't see any other reason for the water to be here.

Well after having the skimmer closed last night, still lost 1/2" water. Could that much water leave through an opening inside the pool? There appear to be no holes in the liner, but we do have a light, skimmer plate, jets, a swim out, and steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's fairly common practice to tie the main drain line into the skimmer line and if that's done on your pool then blocking the hole in the skimmer really does no good. They also tie the main drain line into a second hole in the bottom of the skimmer. In that case, blocking the skimmer hole would stop the leak if that's the line leaking.

Okay so it's been off since yesterday around 11:30. Based on what I saw this morning until now, looks like it has stabilized. So what you are saying is, if I don't shut off the valve at the pump, it could still leak out?
4f8c08a2.jpg

6145ba31.jpg

6079e72a.jpg

Some pictures that may help. There is still water in the hole that I dug but not as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.