Par4monkey

Jul 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my pool company just left. There is antifreeze leaking from a pipe that I’ve never seen have antifreeze in it after closing. I am concerned because I have dogs. Should there be antifreeze in this pipe that comes out of the bottom of my heater? Pic attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• DB3077F1-DEEB-41ED-BD6C-917103D4847D.jpeg
    DB3077F1-DEEB-41ED-BD6C-917103D4847D.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 21
I don't have a definitive answer on the problem itself, just a bit of reassurance for your pets. The toxic ingredient in automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol while pool antifreeze uses propylene glycol which is considered non-toxic in mammals and generally not harmful for aquatic ecosystems. That's why it's able to be used for winterizing RV potable water systems (and why it's so easy to find for the DIY pool closers). So don't worry if you see your dogs or anything else poking around where it's dripping.

As far as it dripping though, it looks like they poured it in to your heat pump. That's kind of odd, usually that'd just be left open to dry out over the winter, possibly with a breathable cover to keep rodents from trying to make a home inside. Looks like they just taped some plastic wrap over it. Pretty odd IMO, but I can't say for sure that they didn't have a valid reason for doing it.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Wow … that’s a hack job if I’ve ever seen one … electrical tape and a plastic wrap 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ WHAT, they couldn’t afford to put an expandable rubber plug into the hole to stopper it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Geez.

I agree with @Donldson … not sure antifreeze in the heat pump is warranted or necessary. I’m guessing they’re just covering their bases so as not to be liable for equipment damage. You can leave it as-is if you want but I would definitely tarp or cover the equipment as much as you can to keep the snow and rain out. Throw a few mothballs baggies insode the cover (and away from the dog!) too to keep the vermin away.

I don't have a definitive answer on the problem itself, just a bit of reassurance for your pets. The toxic ingredient in automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol while pool antifreeze uses propylene glycol which is considered non-toxic in mammals and generally not harmful for aquatic ecosystems. That's why it's able to be used for winterizing RV potable water systems (and why it's so easy to find for the DIY pool closers). So don't worry if you see your dogs or anything else poking around where it's dripping.

As far as it dripping though, it looks like they poured it in to your heat pump. That's kind of odd, usually that'd just be left open to dry out over the winter, possibly with a breathable cover to keep rodents from trying to make a home inside. Looks like they just taped some plastic wrap over it. Pretty odd IMO, but I can't say for sure that they didn't have a valid reason for doing it.
Thank you. They always put a little bag over that but I’ve never seen the antifreeze in there before. Appreciate the reassurance about the toxicity.

Wow … that’s a hack job if I’ve ever seen one … electrical tape and a plastic wrap 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ WHAT, they couldn’t afford to put an expandable rubber plug into the hole to stopper it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Geez.

I agree with @Donldson … not sure antifreeze in the heat pump is warranted or necessary. I’m guessing they’re just covering their bases so as not to be liable for equipment damage. You can leave it as-is if you want but I would definitely tarp or cover the equipment as much as you can to keep the snow and rain out. Throw a few mothballs baggies insode the cover (and away from the dog!) too to keep the vermin away.
Thank you. I have a cover I put over the entire heat pump before the snow arrives. They always “plug” that pvc pipe at the bottom with the same technique you see in the pic (bag and tape). Just not sure because I’ve never seen bright pink antifreeze behind that bag before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.