Leak

Aab163

Jan 13, 2021
Kenya
Hi all

I rented a house where there is a pool. During last 2 years we have had 3 leaks. Everytime i used time and with food colering to find the leaks in the cement and cracks between the tiles.
The pool have been emtied and the leak have been repaired. Last repair i noticed the cement block behind the tile that was used to build the pool was All crumble. I could with My bare hands crumble the block into sand. This was repaired in the area.
We now have yet another leak, and I dont know how i should adress this to our landlord,
as this is getting too much and expensive with chlorine and water. We Pay for chlorine and water our self, not the repairs but I think the whole pool is going to colaps next time. The pool is 52 x 16 feet.
For the water loss we lost 2,4 inch in 48 hours, pump and everything off. The landlord just said its due to evaporation - can this be an option? I live in a climate with constant 82 degree.

What should i do and how should i adress this issue with the landlord?

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I would guess that in that temperature your water loss would be less than 1" a day, perhaps a lot less.

You can use the bucket leak test to prove to the landlord the water loss is from a leak, not evaporation. Then inform him you can no longer honor the agreement (of you paying for water and chlorine), while the pool is leaking. Hopefully he'll see things your way. It sounds to me like the concrete shell is no longer viable, or was built incorrectly, and/or with faulty materials. Perhaps the pool has reached its end.

This article describes the bucket leak test. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to TFP. Glad you found us! I've always wanted to go to Kenya. I started in South Africa but didn't make it any farther north than Zimbabwe. Your continent is too big!!! 😀 🦁🐘🦒🦓

PS. The monkeys that run across the rooftops in Victoria Falls are crazy! My friends jumped off the bridge there, but I chickened out!! 😲

Last edited:

Aab163

Jan 13, 2021
Kenya
Thanks for the Quick reply.

I did the bucket test but only for 22 hours. (see the attach ment image)

Inside the bucket i lost 0.157 inches outside was 0.945 inches. I shared this result with the landlord, but she is pretty much ignoring the result saying that this is the dry season and they loose water too.

But totally i lost just by messuraing the pool level 2.4 inch in 48 hours.

I just want to be sure in my case before i take it too far. Is this considered as a leak or evaporation? We have 82 degree and 70% humitity. So i dont consider this to be dry conditions.

My pool is huge, and according to My calculation i loose 600 gal every Day.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_104057.jpg
    IMG_20210112_104057.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Aab163

Jan 13, 2021
Kenya
Yes, i been at Victoria falls and jumped over the brigde, and I even got a certificate to prove it🤪.

The devils pool at the falls are cool.

We do have monkies in my area but they are not coming to our garden.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
It really doesn't prove anything just to state you lost x-amount of inches in y-amount of hours. And she'll dispute that anyway.

But the bucket test is definitive proof. It's indisputable science. The bucket reveals the amount, in inches, a body of water will lose to evaporation. If the pool loses more, in inches, than the bucket, then you have a leak. Period. It doesn't determine where the leak is. It could be in the pool, or it could be in the plumbing. But that doesn't matter in your case. A leak is a leak. The size of the bucket and the size of the pool is irrelevant for this test. So are air temperature or humidity. The conclusion from the bucket test isn't affected by those conditions.

If you lived in California I could tell you exactly what to do (I am a landlord). But I have no idea how such things are handled in Kenya. And while the laws may be different between are two far-distant countries, physics is exactly the same.

I'm guessing she doesn't understand the science behind the bucket test. Perhaps it would help her understand if you did the bucket test in each of her pools (yours and hers) at the same time. At least that way you can show her the result from both a leaking pool and a pool that doesn't leak...

Or maybe share that webpage with her, so she can read it for herself.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Yes, i been at Victoria falls and jumped over the brigde, and I even got a certificate to prove it🤪.

The devils pool at the falls are cool.

We do have monkies in my area but they are not coming to our garden.
Ugh, I still shudder at the thought of that leap!! The bravest I could get was to stand on that lookout that puts you way out over the river with a spectacular view of the falls. Amazing falls. I don't remember Devil's Pool. Maybe that's the same spot...

We were in tents in Botswana and we came back from some adventure one day to find the monkeys had unzipped everything. Tents, backpacks, shaving kits, everything! Rifled through all our stuff. Unscrewed every cap and lid! And then the next day, when we were packing up, they were under the truck bed still grabbing at our stuff as we were loading it over the tailgate! Little monsters!! So many good memories. I've been back twice and want to go again. Maybe I'll make it to Kenya yet!

I googled a bit. I see Kenya is very pro-landlord. It's the opposite here and a problem like yours would be no challenge for a tenant. Not so, I understand, in your country. :( I hope she doesn't give you too much trouble. You really are in the right.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.