Leak somewhere or normal?

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
Getting pretty close to closing up my pool for the winter but within the past few weeks I've noticed something odd and troubling. I think I'm losing water at a more rapid pace than usual. Not sure if it's just me or if it's weather related or what. We haven't really used the pool heavily within the past few weeks since it has been getting colder out and we've just been busy, so I'm not sure how a leak would magically develop on its own.

I turned the pump off last night and plugged the skimmer, just to eliminate that factor, although its an above ground pool and I clearly don't see any visible leaks from the pump/filter. I marked a line on the skimmer where the water line was last night at about 6pm. I checked it this morning around 8:30am and it was down maybe 3mm. This seems like a lot, but I've never really monitored it before. I just noticed I had to fill it back up a few times within the past week because the skimmer was sucking air and I don't normally fill it that often in the summer.

I don't see any visible water around the pool anywhere. I don't even know where to start if there's a leak in a random spot at the bottom of the liner. Seems like I would be pretty screwed so I'm a bit scared.

I guess firstly, does this type of loss seem normal, or should I start panicking? If its not, where do I even start with checking an above ground pool for leaks? I'm getting ready to close the pool so I imagine closing it with a possible leak would be a terrible idea which makes me even more worried.

warmer days, warmer water > then colder nights and wind will take 1 inch of water out of my pool a week if not more... do a bucket test and see if it loses the same amount of water :)

Ah, I have not heard of the bucket test. Then again, never had to try to see if I had a leak before, so makes sense. Thanks for the tip! I will go ahead and try that and hopefully it's just evaporation!

Have an above ground pool though and most of these bucket test directions seem to imply you have steps. Hopefully I can rig it up on my ladder somehow.

Well, just an update. My hunch was correct. Removed my ladder in preparation for closing and found the leak. A nice little hole under where the ladder was. Guess it was my fault for not having some sort of pad underneath it.

Used a patch kit where I applied the glue and stuck it on under the water. Hopefully it holds up. I'll be putting a pad over it for the ladder when I open it next year so that spot won't take any more abuse. Bummer, but at least I found it before closing.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.