Leak repair and pressure testing

Settleces

Aug 23, 2019
Hamilton, ontario
Hey guys!! So we got our huge leak fixed. We were losing aprox 350 gallons a day! After he dug deep and fixed it, he did a pressure test. He told my father (I was at work)
“In one hour, I set it to 16 psi, and it dropped to 15.5, nothing to worry about”
To me.... that’s a failed pressure test. But I have no idea what criteria goes into that. Maybe there is an acceptable amount of pressure loss?
Just wondering what you guys think about pressure testing
Photos added just for the heck of it

4B99F67E-C4E2-4867-A8E4-9FFA0A5D6909.jpeg73E582CD-CD4D-4D13-9B83-3DF522D548C1.jpeg32860276-EAEC-4F46-B8E0-DF79EA9D7A40.jpeg

Someone like @jimmythegreek can confirm, but it is generally true that ideally there should be no change in pressure during a test. It should hold. However one consideration "might" be their testing equipment connection. If there was a small leak at their gauge or manifold fitting for example. If the repair area it still open, try spraying some soapy water on it and look for air bubbles.

Thanks for the info!
The repair spot wouldn’t be our concern for leaks... the entire original plumbing is our concern. We’ve had two leaks in different areas in the return lines... inevitably more will come. I feel like this pool guy should have offered a quote that included digging and replacing all the plumbing but he had us convinced it was all fine. Then within a month of the job completed the first leak near the shed. Then the winter came and went, we opened the pool with no leak April, May and June. July BAM 1-2 inches a day

PVC plumbing shouldn't leak simply because of age. Now, if you have compression or subsidence damage, that's different. Any reason to believe you might have damage to the plumbing elsewhere (such as rubber pipe with hose clamps like in your seconds image?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.