LEAK IN VINYL LINER IN-GROUND POOL

oldguy001

Jul 4, 2019
Naples, FL
It has been an extraordinarily hot summer so far in Southwest Florida, and I am fighting to keep the chlorine levels up. Last Tuesday I had some algae so I checked my chlorine level, and it didn't even turn light pink . . . no reaction. So, I swept the pool, added some Stop Yellow, and poured a jug, (2 1/2 gallons), of chlorine in. Thursday evening I checked it again, and still no reaction with the DPD chlorine test, so I poured in another jug. My CYA was about 32, so I opened the stabilizer a teeny bit. I put Kreepy Krawley in for a few hours to suck up the residual algae, then went to bed. The next morning, the water level was down significantly, (i.e. 2 to 3 inches), overnight. We had to be away for Friday and Saturday night, so I set it on drain only and let the pump run continuously. We just got home Sunday afternoon, and the water level is down about 8", well below the skimmer. I turned everything off and let it settle. I then did the food coloring test, and no leak showed up. We have had problems with leaks in the past, but not for a couple of years.
Did I put too much chlorine in at a time? Could the Kreepy Krawley have done something? (It's supposed to be for vinyl liners). And, even though it was set to drain only, there was a lot of air coming out of the return.
I can call the company we used before to find and fix the leak, but I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself nowadays. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Are you still losing water? Do you only lose water when the pump is on? Where is the return in relation to the water level?

Sorry for questions instead of answers but that will help us help you figure this out.

Yes, the pump is still running, and yes, it's still leaking. It has been raining all morning, and the water level is still dropping. I figured out that even when it's on drain only, it's still getting air in the pipes from the skimmer. When I filled it last night, I put the hose in the skimmer, (with the flap wedged open), which kept the air out.

Sorry kimkats. I didn't respond to your question about the return.
I have one return near the drains, and to at the steps, (see attached). At it's lowest yesterday, the water was maybe an inch above the returns.IMG_20200706_101944.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_101957.jpg
    IMG_20200706_101957.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 9
1Sammy, I think you're on to something. I just noticed that an old patch was curling up at the edges, (see attached photo). Thankfully it's in the shallow end so I should be able to patch it myself. I tried food coloring again, but it doesn't seem to be going toward the patch. This just seems like the most likely culprit.
Thank you, and I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• CURLING PATCH.jpg
    CURLING PATCH.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 17
Well, I got a vinyl repair kit, and pulled off the old patch, and there were a couple of holes under the patch. I put a new patch on and low and behold, it's no longer leaking! Now i'm working on getting my chemicals readjusted.
Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.