Leak in new pool - they want to drain it

Aug 13, 2018
Augusta/Kansas
Pool has been running for about 6 weeks. About 2 weeks ago pool started losing more water each day (one day lost a full inch). Finally pool company came out and I am losing about 1 inch per day and a half (with equipment off). I have never been in the pool and the only activity has been robot cleaning pool (Maytronics Dolphin M4), me sweeping when we had algae and using net to get stuff out of pool. They want to drain the pool today and crawl under liner to find the hole.

A few questions:
1. Will pool being empty for a day hurt the liner (assuming small hole and they can patch and refill)?
2. Could my robot have caused a problem this early? (I have checked it out and no sharp spots or stuff stuck in treads)
3. What else could have caused a leak that appears to be getting worse? Pool guy thought maybe a seam issue that was tiny at first but now bigger.

If they have to replace liner we will not be able to do until after winter (Kansas) due to lead time and needing to winterize equipment.

Any thoughts from experienced people? This has been an extremely frustrating process between flooding during each phase of construction, missing pump leading to yellow algae and how an apparent leak

20,000 gallon, Vinyl lined

They want to drain the pool today and crawl under liner to find the hole.

A crazy statement. You literally could just let the pool drain itself until the leak stops. A lot of pool professionals have high end equipment to detect leaks in a swimming pool. It is difficult to "guess" what caused the tear in your liner. For now, I would concentrate on patching up the repair. If the liner is coming apart at the seam(s), then it is highly likely you are still under some manufacturers warranty. I am interpreting that the pool was recently built and filled with water, or has only the issue been around for 6 weeks?

I am losing about 1 inch per day and a half (with equipment off).

This could very well mean that the leak could be elsewhere.

Pool construction was completed 6 weeks ago and noticed water dropping about 2 weeks ago. Due to impending cold they did not want to just let it drop. Started the drain tonight and about done. This is all on them so just going to let them do their thing. If a seam issue they will warranty liner. If a hole they will patch from underneath. Will know something tomorrow when they get under liner. They said they have had 6 case this year if a new install having a seam defect. They install a ton of pools.

The patch could be on the water side of the liner so the water can help hold it on. If it is put on the other side the water may be able to "push" it off.

Them crawling under the liner will mess up the bottom of the pool :( Is this an above ground or in ground pool?

Kim:kim:

They state that they will reinstall liner in same fashion with no wrinkles. I have never dealt with this before so if the liner goes back in and has wrinkles I will demand it be fixed. My hope is they find a major problem, warranty the liner and problem solved. Watching them on camera now and they are having to pump out quite a bit of water that was under the liner due to the leak.

This sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Your pool has a manufacturing defect. The installers are honoring the warranty and are fixing the problem. Don't start stressing until there is a reason to. I'm not saying your pool troubles, or how you feel about them, aren't real, I'm just pointing out you've got a crew taking care of it for you, for free, which is better than many here got when their contractors took a hike rather than fixed their problems. It was prudent to check in here, but it sounds like all is well so far.

Don't mind me, I'm just practicing my glass-half-full excersises, as that is not my nature! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update. They found zero holes in the liner (yeah) but found a crack in the light housing and a crack in a plastic main drain flange. They have fixed both and are starting the fill. Looks like they are being super diligent about making sure no wrinkles. This company has been really good to work with and have stood behind their work through some very tough construction challenges. We had floods at each stage of the project (pumped out dirt hole, pumped out unlined pool, pumped out flooding around undecked pool and now this). Hopefully, they will fill and it will hold water. I hope to get this bad boy winterized and look forward to using next year with the grandbabies. By the way this site is a life saver. Helped me find the right test kit (TF-100), helped me learn to slam and kill nasty yellow algae and helped me get right equipment to have a more worry free pool. Thanks to all who have helped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.