Leak In Backwash Valve Question

Aug 27, 2018
Plano
Long (3 years) story short, I have had a leak in my pool that is very sporadic.... ill lose up to two inches a day for months than be fine for months. I have had two different leak companies come out and basically throw in the towel.

I have a jandy slide valve for my backwash and I was suspect of the o-ring being the culprit.... I replaced the o-ring (the one on was white, and i replaced it with same size but it was black) and re-lubed it and installed. I also left the backwash valve open to see if any water was coming out while the pool was running. A day later, I have lost 1.5" (typical) and there was no water coming out of the backwash valve.

My question is this: if there is no water coming out of the backwash valve, I can completely rule out the backwash valve being the culprit for the leak, correct?

If you have no leaking to waste from either position (up or down), then that would indicate the O-rings in the valve are sealing properly. You mention leaving the backwash valve open? Do you have a separate shut-off valve on your backwash/waste line?

Is your pool an inground plaster or vinyl? Did they remove the light(s) and check in the niche for a leak if applicable?

When the pool goes through those periods of water loss, are you saying you can lose 1.5" per day?

Yes, my backwash runs to a pipe to the front of my house, but there is a valve (like a water hose valve) by the equipment that you can open/close. I opened that to see if any was coming through and nothing.....

Pool is inground plaster... roughly 10k gallons. Both leak detection companies have checked the lights, plumbing, etc. And yes, I am losing 1-2" of water every 24 hours right now... I have been daily for almost two months..... Leak detection has no idea.... just like the last one, it is super frustrating. Adding water daily makes it hard to keep the chemicals consistent.

but there is a valve (like a water hose valve) by the equipment that you can open/close.
Can you post a pic of that?

For the water loss, do you have a main drain? If so, you may be losing water at the drain. Perhaps a bad hydrostatic valve. I wonder if that was checked?

Can you post a pic of that?

For the water loss, do you have a main drain? If so, you may be losing water at the drain. Perhaps a bad hydrostatic valve. I wonder if that was checked?
I know they got in the pool a couple times and dye tested the main drain. I dont know about the hydrostatic valve, I dont know what that is.

I will take a picture of the backwash setup later.

Thanks for your help.

The hydrostatic valve is in the drain and helps to relive water pressure from below. But it can sometimes go bad simply over time or get jammed a bit at the seal from debris. Without removing the drain cover and really checking closely, it could be overlooked.'

full

The hydrostatic valve is in the drain and helps to relive water pressure from below. But it can sometimes go bad simply over time or get jammed a bit at the seal from debris. Without removing the drain cover and really checking closely, it could be overlooked.'

full
ahhhhh...... this seems like it could be worth looking into because sometimes the problem just simply goes away for months..... than pops up.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Is this something that could be detected with a die test?
Yes, but it takes a bit of skill, patience, and being bale to remain at the drain long enough to do the test. Industry techs have air tanks and such to stay down there long enough to remove the cover and check carefully with the dye. Diving down on our own can be done, but will take several dives to the bottom. :snorkle: :snorkle:

Reactions: nemeth8
Yes, but it takes a bit of skill, patience, and being bale to remain at the drain long enough to do the test. Industry techs have air tanks and such to stay down there long enough to remove the cover and check carefully with the dye. Diving down on our own can be done, but will take several dives to the bottom. :snorkle: :snorkle:
thanks for the information. I will ask him if they checked that.... assuming I have a hydrostatic valve. We are losing twice as much water (3") when we leave the pool off at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.