Leak Fixed: Need Help Adjusting Water please

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
We finally got our leak fixed where we were losing approximately 400 gallons per day. So the water has had a lot of loss and additions.
Today's test:
FC: 4.5 (this is from 10% chlorine additions, not from the SWG)
CC: 0
TC: 4.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 120
CYA: maybe 40 (taken a week ago, when it was sunny, but I find it hard to believe it would be 40 with all the water loss and additions we had from the leak.
Salt: 3400 (added 6 bags 2 days ago, and 2 bags yesterday) with pump running constantly, turned SWG back on last night.

We have a SWG and after the leak we had 1400 ppm with check salt light etc. So after adding salt and being at 3400 ppm, I have our T-15 Aquarite set at 30% with pump time 9 hours (this has always worked in the past to maintain FC).

When I took the CYA test, it was about a week ago, it was sunny, but I find it hard to believe it would be 40 with all the water loss and additions we had from the leak. I did the test twice myself then had my husband do it too and our findings were the same. Of course it's very cloudy today and supposed to be tomorrow until Friday. Is a CYA test taken in cloudy weather that inaccurate? I also have a florescent light under my kitchen cabinet and wonder if the CYA test could be accurate using that? I want to add stabilizer today but don't want to overshoot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know, maybe I should just wait till Friday (or earlier if we get any sun). The CYA is such a Murphy's law test. As soon as I walk out side to do the test, invaribly a cloud suddenly covers the sun :)

I will also be adding acid to get my PH back to 7.4. I have no idea why it's so high, although in range but at the high end. I did a test on our tap water and it was 7.4. Last year our PH pretty much ran constant at 7.5 and we only had to add acid one time. Surprising with a SWG.
Thanks!

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Thanks, Marty! I really appreciate your help. I know I"m a little OCD when it comes to my PH but I'll wait until it reaches 8. Will also add 20 ppm of CYA today.

Thanks again :)