Leak at skimmer gasket

SSharp

Bronze Supporter
Aug 25, 2019
Nebraska
I’m pretty certain I have a leak at the skimmer faceplate gasket on my inground vinyl lined pool. We have 2 skimmers , both CMP wide mouth. Installation was with 2 gaskets. (Steel pool wall, skimmer, gasket, vinyl liner , gasket, then face plate.)
The skimmer itself was attached to the steel walls with 4 pan head screws, and I’m wondering if the bottom two are preventing the face plate from evenly clamping the gaskets together.
I’ve been trying to read about different solutions, so open to suggestions. Thinking about cleaning gaskets and maybe a thin layer of silicone and tighten back together? Or is there another solution to ensure adequate/even pressure on the faceplate?
We pressure checked all the lines, and they are ok. We took the skimmer faceplate off and could see evidence of water between the liner and wall.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sorry you have not received any responses. Let's give your thread a bump on this Sunday morning to see if some responses are out there.

SSharp

Bronze Supporter
Aug 25, 2019
Nebraska
An update: used marine grade loctite sealant, pulled the gaskets, cleaned them and put a generous amount all around the vinyl liner, gaskets, and plates. Let cure before filling it back up and based on our gravity drainage pipe off the back end of our lot, we are claiming a win!

Reactions: Newdude

miwitte

Sep 4, 2015
Charlotte,NC
what sealant did you use i have to redo my steps and would like to do something similar that doesnt get affected by chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread