Leaf Net question

uwimage

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
287
0
45
Richardson, TX
www.uwimage.com
#1
I'm wondering if anyone here uses one of those leaf nets without a winter cover? With fall coming up I am thinking of trying one of these to help me with leaf maintenance...

I'm in N. Texas where most people I know don't actually 'close' their pools but we have a bunch of trees over the pool and was thinking this might be a nice option.

And for the record, there are no kids, no outdoor pets and the fences are locked so I'm not worried about a safety issue.

Thanks!
 

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
920
0
59
Covington, Georgia
#2
We have purchased one and are going to use it for the first time this year. Last year we had a nasty mess when we took off our other pool cover. We have lots of trees around our pool as well. Cant wait to see what the diiference is !

I have read on here that you should empty the leaf net a few times during the "leaf dropping season" so that they dont sit in the water on cause trouble in the spring time.
Good Luck with yours!
 

Butterfly

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 31, 2007
10,045
1
68
South Carolina
#4
Well, FWIW, last winter we just did maintenance. Dipped leaves. Once the main drop was over, it took about ten minutes every other day or so to maintain a beautiful clean open beautiful-to-look-at pool. Really nice with the fire pit going. We have tons of huge trees, well, all our neighbors do. Start up was a breeze as the water warmed, the pool only needed tweeked and vacuuming. btw, we actually did vacuum once last winter. Good luck with your decision. :)

Joyce
 

DaveNJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
520
0
Toms River, NJ
#5
I bought one early this year. Intended to use it for helicopter seed pods, Mapple tree. This year there where no seed pods (strange). Going to use it when the leaves fall, then remove it before freeze.
 

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
920
0
59
Covington, Georgia
#6
We purchased ours because we have alot of trees around our pool. Oak, Pine and a few Dog Wood so you can imagine what our leaf situation is like. In the fall the Oak trees drop leaves and in the spring they drop leaves and in the spring they drop a "worm" like thing that fills the skimmer basket real fast! Last year (winter) I had planned to take some of them down that were right beside the pool to remidy the situation but it didnt happen ... this year it will !

Joyce , what kind of maint do you do? Do you actually do a winter "shock" and algea treatment or do you actually maintian your chems all winter long?
 

Butterfly

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 31, 2007
10,045
1
68
South Carolina
#7
TizMe said:
We purchased ours because we have alot of trees around our pool. Oak, Pine and a few Dog Wood so you can imagine what our leaf situation is like. In the fall the Oak trees drop leaves and in the spring they drop leaves and in the spring they drop a "worm" like thing that fills the skimmer basket real fast! Last year (winter) I had planned to take some of them down that were right beside the pool to remidy the situation but it didnt happen ... this year it will !

Joyce , what kind of maint do you do? Do you actually do a winter "shock" and algea treatment or do you actually maintian your chems all winter long?
Tiz, Last winter we did not do a winter shock nor an algae treatment, but maintained chemicals until water temp fell between 55 & 60 degrees. The only maintenance we did last winter was scoop leaves and vacuum once, right after the majority of leaves had fallen. To average it out our winter maintenance was about ten minutes every other day or so. That was it. And trees........ they are huge and in close proximity to OUR pool.. This winter, however, we will actually test our water for possible pH issues because of the new-ish plaster. Hope this helps. :) Joyce
 

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
920
0
59
Covington, Georgia
#8
Sure does help Joyce. Thank you .... the trees will still come down though. A majority of them are Oak trees and they have a wormy kinda thing in the spring which makes it a pain the others are Pine trees.
So to sum it up ...dont close the pool,check chems until water temp gets to be 50-60 degrees then we can stop until spring time. Going to run the pump at night for v4 or 5 hours .... will that be enough?
 

heatmisr

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2007
299
0
Northern NJ
#9
DaveNJ said:
I bought one early this year. Intended to use it for helicopter seed pods, Mapple tree. This year there where no seed pods (strange). Going to use it when the leaves fall, then remove it before freeze.
I bought one too this year for just the same reason! :) I must have gotten your helicopter seed pods because they have been the bain of my existence all summer! :shock: They have stained the pool, pavers, shed, furniture. Everything. Good luck with yours.
 

Butterfly

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 31, 2007
10,045
1
68
South Carolina
#10
TizMe said:
Sure does help Joyce. Thank you .... the trees will still come down though. A majority of them are Oak trees and they have a wormy kinda thing in the spring which makes it a pain the others are Pine trees.
So to sum it up ...dont close the pool,check chems until water temp gets to be 50-60 degrees then we can stop until spring time. Going to run the pump at night for v4 or 5 hours .... will that be enough?
Hi Tiz,
I can only tell you what WE did last winter and will do again this winter. Our pool is IG and yours is AG and there may be huge differences in what can be done. Also, our pool is somewhat protected because of the terracing of our yard. So please verify everything with AG folks in your area/location (or those here that know!) what you should or should not do. To sum it up, this is what we did:

1. Maintained chems until water temp dropped below 60 degrees,
2. covered our pool equipment with a heavy blanket and a tarp so that nothing was exposed to the elements,
3. dipped leaves using leaf net w/10 ft. pole
4. did not run pump except for the one time we vacuumed.

Hope this helps. :)

Joyce