Latest results with CH ?

Paul & Crystal

Silver Supporter
May 25, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Good Saturday Morning All!

Sorry I have been a little sparse on posting lately. This box unpacking has been kickin my bootay. I have been testing and maintaining the pool regularly though. Today's results:

FC 7.5. I am testing FC both morning and night. Generally I am losing .5 over night and .5 over the course of the day. According to pool math, I'm adding 40 oz 10% pool essentials chlorinating liquid both morning and night which is working great.

CC 0

pH 7.6

TA 90

CH 225

CYA 45

I feel pretty good about these levels from what I read across the forums and in pool school.

The CH has had me wondering a bit. When I ran my first test two weeks ago I got CH 375. But I did not use the speedster on the first test because I was too overwhelmed to figure it out. Since I've had the speedstir up and running, my CH test has been giving me a wide variety of results. My first test with speedstir showed 275. Next 225. 275. 250. 225. 200. 225. 300. And now this morning back to 225. I know CH does not leave the water. My fill water has a low CH of 150. I'm having to add water every day. Is that normal? It has been very windy here for the last two days and earlier this week it was high sun and 90 degrees for two days. So I bought some calcium chloride granular because I have been thinking I'm gonna have to boost the CH now and then. I have not used it yet because I want advice on exactly where I should try to keep my level. Most of my reading says 300 is about right. I know there is a range. But how low should I let it go before I boost it? I'm thinking 225 is probably the most reliable current number from my tests.

Also, when I first got the pool two weeks ago, the pH was high around 8.2 or more. I lowered it to 7.4 with MA and it has been nice and steady for two weeks with a gradual rise to 7.6 today. I am looking into adding borates at some point. My TA has been running steady in the 80-90 range since I lowered pH. Are these levels ok for now considering that I may add borates at some point or should I be preparing them for the eventual add?

One more...I also bought conditioner CYA because I know I will have to boost this now and then. I started with 50 two weeks ago and now I'm getting 40-45. At what level should I boost that up a bit? My pool is in full sun. Right now it's not eating that much because it's not hot yet and we've had a lot of cloudy days. But I know when we get in season I'm going to need to find the right level of CYA to protect the most chlorine possible.

Thanks everyone!

Crystal

The Cya test is not that precise. Call it 40 or 50 which ever seems closest to you. 50 is a good place to start, and you may see a need for 60 depending on your peak summer FC loss.

The CH differences are likely test variation as much as anything, unless youre adding a lot of water. Get consistent woth your end point, and I bet you see more of the same or closer numbers on this.

Others may differ, but I wouldn't rush the borates. Id want to see better what kind of pH rise I got (how fast) and get to know that first. Then I would want my TA lower than that before I did. My water is too bad, and TA/pH hard enough to move as is, so I dont use them. It wont be a cheap additon for your pool either, but that may not matter to you.

I agree. No hurry on borates......some never add them (me for one)

I would suggest dropping your CYA test back to twice monthly. It simply doesn't vary by much and you have now learned to do the test consistenly. You will get better and better.

Same with CH. In fact, I would move it to monthly testing for the same reasons as CYA.

The important test is FC. Stay with that test every couple of days or so and note any trends. You are right.......your demand will increase.

You are doing great. I assume your water is crystal clear?

Thanks guys. My water is beautiful and sparkly all thanks to TFP. I'm in no rush for borates and may not ever add. And yes...costs matter! Economy is my middle name! I do like some of the water feel properties I've been reading about and the extra sparkle possibilities but if I don't need it I'm good with that too. I will slack off on the testing for CH and CYA. I've been honing my testing techniques but I have it all down now! My hubby and friends think I'm nuts...ok they have more confirmation that I'm nuts...but they are seeing my results and are actually quite impressed. Hubby thought I'd give up and call the pool store by now. Hee hee! Not a chance :).

Oh, no no, nooo. He has no idea the power of TFP!! :p

Let em call you nuts and continue to be impressed, and more so when people with pools for years start asking HOW do you do this!??

Sorry I didn't mention cutting back on those, but you sure can. You're seeing some of it now for sure, but you'll be able to predict what your tests are and be close on all them very soon. Just focus on pH and Chlorine mostly, TA as well, but it will do as it will with pH adjustment. You are doing very, very well, so just keep it up. :goodjob:

PS: Your soft water gives you the luxury of also using Cal-Hypo at least some, so keep that in your pocket as an option. Its fine in your situation, just as good as Bleach, and a good way to boost your CH if you want too.

Just jumping in to say "well done!" It really looks like you have a good handle on the testing and the pool! SWEET!

Middle name Economy and Pool $tore does NOT go together at all! LOL he will find out real fast! When you have a spare min. one day this summer run your pool water down to a pool store and let them test it. When they ask what it looks like just say "pool water" or "okay I guess". Then bring write down what they tell you to buy and how much it costs! Paul will be a believer then!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I've always been a naturalist, minimalist, organic type so TFP is right up my alley. Every friend I have who owns a pool uses pucks and does a shock weekly! I noticed the price of shock at Walmart and I am so glad to be using TFP instead. I can't wait until we are swimming in my beautiful clean water! I know my friends will start to be more curious when they experience the water difference. Their pools smell like rancid chlorine all summer. Mine smells sweet as a daisy!!! Much love...let the sun shine!

I would suggest you use the 25mL test procedure as it will be easier to see the transition in the SpeedStir. So the protocol is then -

20 drops of R-0010
5 drops of R-0011L
R-0012 -> 10ppm/drop

Another trick would be to add half the number of drops of R-0012 you think you'll need AFTER the R-0010. By adding some R-0012 before the dye, you'll lock up some excess calcium and any metal ions that might interfere with the test. You still count those drops in the total.

Also, doing the CH test outdoors in bright indirect light helps a lot too. The final shade of blue is easier to see.

And finally, keep adding drops until the blue color stops changing shade. That's the end point of the test not the initial baby blue color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much for those tips. I will try that on the next round. I have been stopping as soon as I see blue. I get a lovely purple then stop on the next drop as it barely turns blue. I'll post new results with the new method soon. Thanks again :)

Yeah, no, it's the opposite. You go past purple and keep adding drops until the blue stops changing shade. That's the true endpoint of the test as it represent the point at which all of the calcium ions are removed from the dye. That explains why you were getting erratic results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its kinda fun. Good advice from Matt. That's exactly what I meant about getting better with your endpoint. After you start following that, you'll get a bit higher reading and much more consistent results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.