Late Season Vinyl Liner Pool

Sep 30, 2018
Wichita KS
Hi all! Been lurking for several months while I've been getting bids on an IG pool and finally wanted to post about it. Will post progress pics as they happen. Would much rather install in spring, but i'm getting a decent deal late season, and we are expecting our first child in February, so I'd rather not have back yard construction happening when a newborn may be sleeping!
Installing a 16x32 IG vinyl liner pool, approx 22k gallon, hayward 24" sand filter, Nature2 Mineral purifier, 1.5hp Hayward super pump and Pentair led light. pretty basic setup but already pushing my budget. Plan to upgrade pump and filter within 5 years as we're currently at our budget and i need to keep the boss (wife) happy for the time being. Happy wife, happy life am I right?
Will update sig when all equipment is installed, unless i change anything during the build!
So far, the only issue has been with location of underground utilities. The crew that came out and marked my electric service must not have gotten a good signal, because it would have ran the line approx 12' from the transformer. I called and had them remark after a mini freakout by myself and my PB, and it was located much better. I dug by hand and located myself to verify and confirmed the location as accurate. The dig is scheduled for this tuesday 10/2!

Thank you!
Update after dig:
My underground electric service was mis-located, so my electric line was severed during the dig. Fortunately no one was hurt, and the electric company was out pretty fast to remove the damaged line and install a temporary line until pool is complete.
Dig is now complete and pool walls are up. Waiting on better weather to pour collar around walls

I know you didn't ask, but you would be wise to get rid of the nature2.......read here on this forum about it....hundreds of posts.

That pump is too big for your filter. a better match is to drop to a 1 hp pump 2-speed or go to a 30 inch filter (or do both would be the best fit).

I know its not a popular opinion on here, and believe me, I've read tons of the negative posts, but i may be one of the very few people that has had good luck with mineral systems in the past despite the negative reviews, so i plan on keeping it.
i actually talked to the PB today to see about increasing the filter size though.

Im very glad no one was hurt during the dig. The locate was off by over 7 feet. if it were within 2-4 we probably would have hand dug more of it to be sure, but 7 feet seemed reasonable not to.

I'm somewhat in a bind on upgrading items at the moment though. I'd rather spend the extra money on pool size, quality plumbing and fittings, then upgrade other equipment later as budget allows. Much easier to upgrade things like pumps, filters, etc. later than it is to make a pool bigger right?
Ill have more pics up soon, I've been dealing with electric contractors coming out to replace the line that was severed, and its been raining pretty much non stop since the walls went up so its currently a muddy mess out there :(

IMG_2211.jpg

The Nature 2 looked good on paper to me but I had a horrible time with stains after the second cartridge. But if you're careful, and with a vinyl liner, you may be OK (I had cement/plaster). Going from a 24" to a 30" filter doesn't increase the cost very much and comes with the added benefit of 2" plumbing (the 24" has 1.5" plumbing). As for the rest of the equipment, yes, it's much easier to upgrade down the road and put more money into the pool itself right now, although, if that's your pool in the picture, it looks like you've fixed on the size already(?).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.