The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Getting ready to break ground and I'm concerned that the existing 100' pine tree in my yard will be too close to my deck and pool. Build thread: New Build in The Woodlands TX - Please Critique

Right now, the trunk is 10 feet from the deck and 15 feet from the pool. I want to make sure the roots won't cause damage in the future. I'd also like to prevent damage to the tree's roots. It's a nice, big tree that I'd like to keep, but I want to make sure it won't cause problems.

30.jpg
31.jpg

I think a tree's root system is as wide as its canopy. I can't see that in this pic though. Two issues with big trees are root damage to pool structure and tree leaves/needles/etc falling in the pool.

Depending on the species of pine, they have a tap root that doesn't go down very far and a small, thin root system that spreads out from there. It doesn't take much to blow then over, especially in waterlogged soil.

You'll probably be OK, but it's so tall and skinny, it doesn't add much "pool appeal" to your yard. I'd probably get it taken out.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Having grown up taking care of our pools in Houston, I would say cut it down. You get virtually no shade from the thing and it will continually drop needles and pine cones in your pool, then in the spring you will get the pollen wormy things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.