Large fungus in pool fill float reservoir

azy

Jun 28, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Found this gem in our fill float reservoir. PH is high at 7.8 and hard water. Of course, that reservoir doesn’t get tested itself. I removed it with a small garden shovel. Smelled just like a common button mushroom. I brushed the sides thoroughly, flushed the reservoir a number of times with the hose, and added some Dichlor straight in there.

The water line has been high the past few months, so the reservoir water has not been circulating. Never had this happen before.

Any reason for concern? Keep shocking it and flushing that reservoir each day has been my plan. Suggestions otherwise?

Attachments

• 64BC44B6-2786-408B-AE99-1AFEF16C8917.jpeg
    64BC44B6-2786-408B-AE99-1AFEF16C8917.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 68
Can you take a picture of the outlet to the pool. Mine was a very small return type eyeball, which prevented a good flow from pool to autofill. I just removed it and has been clean all along.

Reactions: azy
Welcome to the forum!
That is interesting!
Only suggestion I have is to not use dichlor. But that is a different subject!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thank you. I have use TFP as a guide for years now, only switching to dichlor from liquid for convenience and price last year. If dichlor is a problem, I’d consider switching back.

Yuck!

I think a weekly flush is called for.
Yuck is right. I’ll consider weekly after a few days of daily.

Can you take a picture of the outlet to the pool. Mine was a very small return type eyeball, which prevented a good flow from pool to autofill. I just removed it and has been clean all along.
I think it’s 1” pvc here. Nothing to remove though. I will find a way to brush inside the pipe thoroughly.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
AZY, pour 3/4 cup of chlorine in there and let it dissipate on its own.
I spray mine out once a month with the garden hose to keep it clean. :cheers:
Yeah, I’ve only done so a few times a year. I’m adding this to my monthly regime. Hadn’t been a problem until this year. The volume of mesquite leaves that got in through the top was surprising... and just adds to my wife’s desire to chop that tree down!

If dichlor is a problem, I’d consider switching back.
As long as you account for the CYA dichlor adds you are OK. You do know dichlor adds roughly equivalent amounts of chlorine and CYA? The chlorine is consumed, the CYA stays in the water.

Reactions: azy
What is your CYA level? Mine was out of sight and I had while water mold growing in my filter basket. That prompted me to find TFP six years ago and give up on pool store advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would certainly an issue. My pool shop told me it was not going to affect CYA. I should’ve read more before purchasing.

If the powder you are adding is dichlor then it's adding CYA to your pool. If the powder is not dichlor then it's Calcium Hypochlorite (Cal Hypo), in which case is does not affect CYA, but instead it is adding Calcium (CH) to your water. Just like CYA, CH is left behind and can build up in your water. If the levels get too high it will lead to scale deposits on your pool surfaces. Just like CYA, CH can only be lowerd through water exchange/replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.