Lacron sand filter

UKjames

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
I have a lacron sand filter many years under its belt. Only been in my ownership for 6 months when I moved house though so don’t know its history. Id say the filter is 30 years old. No idea if the sand has ever been changed.

It seems to ‘work’ but the pressure gauge is 30psi, pump on or off, just after backwash or after a week. So something doesn’t seem right.

broken gauge seems the most likely candidate? How straightforward is it to change one?

filter looks like this, gauge is on the multi port valve.

1589194874738.jpeg

I also wondered whether the filter deep clean procedure is the same as that shown here but that has a multi port valve on top.

thanks!

Attachments

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Obtain a gauge at hardware store, etc. 0-30 psi is best. If necessary, take off old gauge and take it with you to be sure you get right size. Should be 1/4" NPT. Put teflon tape on threads. Screw in gauge.

Check for leaks.

Let us know if you have questions.

Reactions: UKjames

UKjames

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Could I set the multi port to closed or do I need to do some draining down?

or perhaps both?. My pump/filter is in a shed so can’t just let the water pour out.

UKjames

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Ah yes good point! I do, I think. Each of the skimmer and sump have separate isolation. There’s also another in one of the flow pipes either to or from the filter.

UKjames

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
So changed the gauge today. No water leakage, just air got in. Even though I set the multi port to closed and Other valves to closed I think it was draining to waste.

a couple of minute job and so far all seems good. I can now see a pressure (around 16psi/1.1bar so will see how that changes when I next do a back wash and then monitor if it guess up).

Thanks for the hand holding!

Reactions: mknauss