L-shape Small Pool

May 17, 2018
TX
Hi! Silent lurker from DFW needing some feedback on pool design. I’m working on bids with 3 pool builders now but running into a dilemma with pool size. Backstory for context, like many, I had no plans to put a pool in but 3 kids later (ages 17 months, 4, and 7), plans change. Option 1 was to sell and buy a bigger house with a pool or yard space to build a pool. Option 2 was work with what we have. We opted for option 2 since we weren’t comfortable in doubling our mortgage for minimal upgrade in sq. footage.

Now, my backyard where I want the pool is only 18.5’ wide x 35’. We built an outdoor living with pergola before we planned the pool so somewhat limited. We are thinking an L-shape to help with size but couple things we have concerns about and wanted to get some inputs. We have a 5’ setback requirement from property fence line and 1’ per depth of the pool. I’m only 5’1” and husband is 5’8” so building a play pool with 3.5’ - 4.5’ - 4’ will work great for our family. Husband wants a spa and I want a tanning ledge for my toddler. I also need a line of sight from my patio so extending the corner further than my line-of-sight isn’t an option because of my fear with kids in the pool. Attach is my mockup and one of the PB autoCAD sketch. Do anyone have a small similar pool and feel that it’s too small? Any feedback and suggestions on the design?
8695EBBF-2EF6-45A1-B66E-7EF1AE3933D5.jpeg5BFBDC42-4989-452F-8276-A68CB269721B.jpeg5C53BB38-3B6F-4FBE-BDE4-81D56E74B8A7.jpeg

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I have a similar pool. On the short side of the "L" we have three spa jets (air and water) with no blower. At the end of the long side we have a wedding cake steps. Drain location is about where the short side and the lond side meet. Our max depth is close to six feet. Great size for us and a great grand child attraction. If you want I can try an post some photos.

Reactions: ..kimi..
I have a similar pool. On the short side of the "L" we have three spa jets (air and water) with no blower. At the end of the long side we have a wedding cake steps. Drain location is about where the short side and the lond side meet. Our max depth is close to six feet. Great size for us and a great grand child attraction. If you want I can try an post some photos.
Thank you! Could you share your dimension in addition to pictures. Anything you regret about the pool?

Hi there Kimi :wave:

6' is fine for lap swimming, except at 3.5' depth you'll scrape knuckles. A normal float will fill up the space too if floating sideways. Might be too narrow for volleyball unless 2 people can play on each team?? I just would prefer to see the entire project go bigger/deeper/longer. You have a young family and they're gonna grow and have friends over too, right??

A sport pool in TX is gonna feel real swampy warm in the hot summer- have you considered adding a cooler?

Has your husband actually sat in a pool's spa? Hard cement, so-so jets, not as warm as a hot tub. Now a stand alone hot tub is so much more comfy, gets hotter easier, can be used as a toddler sized play pool if you leave the heater off in the summer, and the seats and jets are soooooo much nicer. If placed near the back door make winter time hot tubbing very convenient. Yeah, I'm biased :sneaky:

My 2cents.
Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.