Keeping the spa and pool balanced...Valve settings

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
I think what happened in the past was that the previous 3 pool cleaners didn't adjust the valves, the spa turned green due to lack of circulation and my snowbird neighbor returned to a green pool. The last three years in a row, he has returned to his Florida home to discover that a splash and dash pool co, had neglected his system and let it go to heck. I am getting paid copious amounts of alcohol to keep this in check over the summer.

I'm thinking I have it right enough here. I return the water to the spa and let it spill into the main pool and draw back from the main drain and the skimmer. The heatpump may remain bypassed and the solar will stay open. Should I leave it as it is or switch it every so often. My only real concern is the spill will elevate the PH a little faster than I want it to. There will be nobody swimming until fall.
20190327_103639.jpg20190327_103637.jpg20190305_135744.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The real answer is to set up his automation system with a spillover function.. Then Schedule it twice a day for 30 minutes each time... this will keep the spa water fresh and chlorinated, eliminate the need to have a constant spillover, and let the pool operate with the normal returns flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the responses. I think when I open up the fountain with the pool return open the pool return gets it all and there isn't enough pressure to keep the fountain flowing unless I bypass the solar (which I probably will as my neighbor goes back to ND next week). Can I open the return valve for the pool just some of the way?

That's a great answer Jim. I will download the manual on the Hayward pl8 controller and see if I can get it do do just that. Since the pool was built just over 6 years ago, nobody has ever been able to figure this system out which left him with a number of algae blooms over the years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.