keeping hose in pool

Due to a big leak in my basket, I've had to rig my pump and filter to bypass the skimmer. My inlet hose now goes directly from my pump/filter into the pool. I recall when I was a child, we had a pool with non in-wall skimmer or return - the inlet and return hoses went directly into pool. Now, I'm having a problem keeping the inlet hose in the water. I managed to get it to stay below the water without sucking on the liner/pool wall by weighing it down with 2 bottles filled with sand and water. My question is: how were inlet/return hoses kept in pools in past? We didn't have to weigh it down when I was a kid. I believe my Dad used some kind of hanger to keep the return hose in the pool - I liked swimming under it and feeling the water on my head. But, I don't remember any apparatus to keep the inlet hose in the pool. We kept our filter/pump raised up on an outside chair. Thanks!
I'm interested in pool history.

What about attaching a couple of rubber (neoprene, vinyl, etc.) coated hand weights to the hoses? When we did over the side hoses on an AGP we put an inlet strainer on the end of the hose and slid the bat weight down till it stopped at the strainer. See these images:

This one shows a bike inner tube stretched over the hose clamp (stainless steel) so the coating on the bat weight won't be damaged.

The return was simply bungied to the rail and would outlet about 6" under the water line. Bungies work good on these Intex pools because of the holes in the liner exposing the rails. Dunno how exactly that would work with a rail that doesn't have any attachments for a bungie, although something could be sorted out with a little noodling. The return hose could also be pointed up for aerating when needed. The children enjoyed spraying each other with it as well.

Hand weight example:

Donut style bat weight example:

Thanks. I'm going to try out all the above ideas and see what works. I don't have an intex pool; I do have a railing of about six inches but, still, a bungie cord would work. Right now, my in-wall return is okay. You all gave me great ideas for keeping the intake hose in the pool without damaging the pool. Thanks again!

Reactions: frogabog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.