Cave Creek, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I just converted my pool to salt. Seems that in my impatience waiting for my test kit to arrive before adding salt, I may have put too much in....but I'm getting weird result with the drop test, so I'm not sure.

6000 gallon pool, added 160 lbs of salt. Instructions from the SWG calls for 175 lbs, assuming I had zero to start with.

Pool was a fresh fill back at the end of March, and I maybe have run 4-5 gallons of LC in it since then, and maybe a gallon of MA. Salt cell/system is telling me I'm around 4000-4100.

I received my salt test kit today, and tested. First test came back at 6400. I thought I messed something up since that was so high, so I tested again. 5800. Then tested again, 5400. Then tested a 4th time, 5000. And yes I was using a 10ml sample 👍

Am I doing something wrong here? I rinsed the tube out every time and got all of the precipitate out. The results seem like they are all over the map, not sure what's going on...or what to believe.

Any help here would be appreciated...thanks!

Last edited:
Has the pool been well circulated and brushed vigorously since adding the salt? The test results act like either poorly mixed pool water or testing error.
Do you have a Speedstir? Those are nearly required to get consistent salinity test results.

Reactions: Newdude

The K-1766 salt test is one of the most repeatable tests there is. I also have the smart-stir.

There is one very obvious stopping point and it is hard to miss.

When you get close to the stopping point you will see the color change for half a second and then immediately change back. The very first drop where the color changes and does not change back, is where you stop. The exact shade of color is not important.

You have to have a small delay between drops.

You can NEVER trust what the salt cells reports as accurate. It may be, and it may not be. The only test to trust is the K-1766.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: AK-
Has the pool been well circulated and brushed vigorously since adding the salt? The test results act like either poorly mixed pool water or testing error.
Do you have a Speedstir? Those are nearly required to get consistent salinity test results.
Yes, I brushed until I couldn't see salt on the bottom, then ran the suction cleaner for 4 hours, and I run my pump 24/7...salt went in yesterday, it's been about 36 hours.

I should add that all the samples for the 4 tests I ran came from the same sample bottle that I filled from the pool.

I don't have a speed stir...will look at getting one. Thanks.

Last edited:

The K-1766 salt test is one of the most repeatable tests there is. I also have the smart-stir.

There is one very obvious stopping point and it is hard to miss.

When you get close to the stopping point you will see the color change for half a second and then immediately change back. The very first drop where the color changes and does not change back, is where you stop. The exact shade of color is not important.

You have to have a small delay between drops.

You can NEVER trust what the salt cells reports as accurate. It may be, and it may not be. The only test to trust is the K-1766.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. That's exactly how I was running the test. Will try again in the morning with a new sample bottle and see if I do any better. Maybe the beer was talking tonight or something 😂

Got 4800 testing again just now. Took my time, swirled a bunch between drops, and made sure I was holding the bottle vertically. Ordered a speed stir, should be here tomorrow. Guess I'll hang tight till then.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoolStored
Sounds like 4800 is about the right number with what you put in, possibly the pool volume is a bit different, fill water salt content, etc. Will be interesting if the Speedstir gets a different result.

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From what I'm reading online, salt levels of 6000+ have the potential to cause corrosion and damage stuff. Assuming 4800 is correct for mine, would you all run it high, or still drain and correct?

From what I'm reading online, salt levels of 6000+ have the potential to cause corrosion and damage stuff. Assuming 4800 is correct for mine, would you all run it high, or still drain and correct?
I would not run that high. Depending on the SWCG and how much rain overflow you get, I would run closer to the low 3000’s as that way most people cannot taste the salt.

Reactions: thunder550
Drained and refilled approx 30% of the water. Salt levels are reading 3400 now. I'll test again in the morning just to be sure the fresh water is all mixed in with the old water, but so far so good.

Just for S&G, here's my before and after numbers, both a few hours apart:

Level - Before -> After
FC - 8 -> 6.5
CC - 0 -> 0
pH 7.8 -> 7.8
TA 80 -> 90
CH 500 -> 450
CYA 80 -> 60
Salt 4800 -> 3400

I tested fill water yesterday:
0.0 FC
0.0 CC
8.0 pH
150 TA
160 CH
400 Salt

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.