LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Found this article, a bit long but I'm curious as to TFP's take on it.

I've no opinion one way or the other.

Thanks,

Lyman

In my view it's not an issue for the TFP method because the FC levels are kept high enough in relation to CYA that regular shocking is not required.
Now, if you follow the industry standard of 1-3ppm FC, regardless of CYA, then algae is bound to appear and when shocked CCs will be formed.

It's quite similar way of thinking to the pharmaceutical industry, they are more interested in treating the symptoms then addressing the root cause.

If they really are concerned about overchlorination, then they should stop spreading this widespread piece of misinformation that to get rid of chloramines, you have to add 10x the amount in chloramines worth of FC. This is wrong. The 10x rule applies to getting rid of ammonia (measured as ppm Nitrogen).

In my view it's not an issue for the TFP method because the FC levels are kept high enough in relation to CYA that regular shocking is not required.
Now, if you follow the industry standard of 1-3ppm FC, regardless of CYA, then algae is bound to appear and when shocked CCs will be formed.

It's quite similar way of thinking to the pharmaceutical industry, they are more interested in treating the symptoms then addressing the root cause.
Good points, thank you!

Lyman

If they really are concerned about overchlorination, then they should stop spreading this widespread piece of misinformation that to get rid of chloramines, you have to add 10x the amount in chloramines worth of FC. This is wrong. The 10x rule applies to getting rid of ammonia (measured as ppm Nitrogen).
Thanks for correcting that on the 10X rule! Was not aware of that as being for ammonia.

Best,
Lyman

Thanks for correcting that on the 10X rule!

No worries! If you are interested in the chemical background, than have a look at this post from from ChemGeek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No worries! If you are interested in the chemical background, than have a look at this post from from ChemGeek:

Thank you, I will check that out.
Best,
Lyman

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.