Just want to make sure I am doing this correctly...had some setbacks

sersee

May 23, 2014
South Jersey
A few weeks ago I noticed my pool water was every so slightly cloudy. I had brown dust on the bottom of my vinyl pool that when brushed went up in a cloud. I had zero chlorine in the pool. This is also when I found out my salt system requires 4000 = 4500 ppm. I have never once had that much salt in my pool. I was always told 2800. I went to the pool store to buy salt and they said they recommend 2800 ppm. I explained that I downloaded my manual and it says otherwise. They told me to bring it up to 3400 ppm and see if I hold chlorine at that level. I did what they said at this time because they seemed so alarmed with 4000 ppm of salt in my pool .I have a Breeze 320. Anyway I was more concerned with killing the algae at this time . I did buy a Taylor salt test and can confirm my salt is at 3400ppm after adding what the pool people told me to.

So I started Slaming it. I had tested all my numbers and since my tube for cya allows me to fill it and still see the black dot , I am assuming that is 0 CYA. So I have that issue, but while Slaming, I am not so worried about it. But it is an issue after this. I will have to bring it up.

So it cleared up ( the pool) and I saw white clumps of stuff that began to appear and all brown gone. So from what I understand that is actually dead algae? So I would think that would be good to see? I vacuumed to waste and continued slamming. We had some setbacks due to storms and torrential rains so my slam was interrupted. I still had white piles. I just continued to brush, vacuum and Slam. Again more weather issues.

I got it to where I was seeing less and less of the white dust stuff. We checked our light and nothing. There is a small area in our steps where I can see algae. It's down in kind of a crease. My husband took a toothbrush and scrubbed it. I think it gets in there every time there is an algae issue which we have a lot. Anyway , my numbers were good. I had chlorine in the pool, my alkalinity and ph were balanced and no cc. But we then got bad rains again and saw brown dust. Yesterday I couldn't get out there at all. So this morning I went and saw a little brown dust and white dust. So I started the SLAM process yet again. My water is clear .I can perfectly see the bottom. My cc is .5. My FC this morning was 1. I am not too concerned with the other numbers since they are going to be off until I get done with the SLAM anyway. Since my CYA is 0 , I am slamming at fc 10.

Am I doing this right? Its very very frustrating. My husband is about to lose his mind with this pool lol. Everyone in my neighborhood is having algae problems. It's been. hot and humid. But my neighbor "nuked " her pool and poured 15 gallons of chlorine in it at once and then went away for the week. They asked us to shut off their pump and put it back on the schedule and she has a ton of what I think is dead algae but doesn't seem to have any more brown? This is NOT the way to do it I am assuming?

The problem is , I am going away at the end of next week for 8 days. I don't want to come home to a mess when I am so close to getting this Slammed. Is there anything I can do before I go away? Can I "nuke " it as well or will that not work at all?

Can you post full test results please?

You are never going to hold FC with 0 CYA. The sun will eat all of it in hours, the SWCG will never keep up.

You need to bring your CYA up to 30 to perform the SLAM correctly.

You might be able to get on top of it initially but the the FC levels will never last long enough to knock the algae on the head completely which is what you must do to ensure it stays away.

Reactions: sersee
You can purchase CYA/stabilizer/conditioner at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc.

Use PoolMath to determine how much to use for your pool size.

First and foremost: What test kit are you using? Do you have an FAS-DPD test kit?

If your numbers do come from one - you want to get your pH down to 7.2 prior to continuing the SLAM. Add the CYA in a sock hung in front of a return jet, squeeze every so often. Once you start assume 30 CYA is in the pool as it will take up to 48 hours to register on a test and you don't want to wait 48 hours to continue slamming. This can be done at the same time as adjusting your pH down. Wait 30 minutes after adding the muriatic acid to lower pH. (Amount you add will depend on your TA, so you need that tested as well, which is why I ask about the kit.)

Once you confirm 7.2 pH, add FC to get to 12ppm. You want to be testing your FC at least 3 times a day, up to once an hour, and adding more to get back to 12 each time. Brush and vacuum often. Don't worry about the SWG yet - you need to eradicate the algae and get a stable FC level first. Then we can raise your CYA up to SWG levels and let the FC come down to standard SWG levels for the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I have the kit from here and have the FAS-DPD test. Ok will do. I will lower ph and will add the stabilizer. Then slam at 12.

My daughter is having a swim party tonight. Is that something I should cancel? I know it's ok to swim at fc 12, clear pool and cc .5 or less. But now that I am adding the stabilizer and lowering the ph? I am also aware swimming can slow down the Slam process.. but this was planned when it was cleared.

No reason to cancel the swim party as long as the pool water is clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end.

Adding CYA will lower pH a bit. So target a pH of 7.4 when you add acid.

Keep going with the party. The impact of the pH addition should be fairly immediate and if you keep squeezing the CYA in the sock it should dissolve fairly quickly. There will be a minimal impact on the speed of the SLAM process from swimmers. Just retest directly after the party and bring the FC up to 12 again.

Ok..sorry I am getting a tad confused. So don't lower ph to 7.2 . Add The CYA ( does it have to be through a sock? I thought some were liquid?) Wait a little bit, test the ph and see where i am at since CYA will lower it anyway. Do what I need to have it be around 7.4. Is this correct?

Thank you by the way! Yes the pool is completely clear to the bottom. I appreciate all your help and answers

If you add CYA as a liquid (liquid stabilizer) just slowly pour in the amount you need at a return jet. It will also register pretty quickly on the CYA test, where granulated will take some time (is my understanding). It just costs a lot more than the granulated stabilizer.

Best practice is to add about half the acid that Pool Math says you need based on your current and target pH, your pool size, and your current TA, test, make sure you're on track, then add the other half. That way you won't overshoot. If you have time, this is better to do, but it does add a half hour or so to what you need to do to let the acid mix in before you test to verify the changes were what you expected. (Sometimes TA isn't quite what we think due to test error, or our pool isn't the size we think it is.)

As others said, no reason to cancel the party. Just try to get the pH and FC additions done ahead of time, at least 30 mins before the party. Test immediately after the party and re-add chlorine. Between the algae it'll be fighting and the bathers you will probably lose a lot of it. :)

Reactions: BowserB and sersee
Marty is saying since the CYA is slightly acidic, just lowering to 7.4 will allow for the slight pH drop the CYA will cause. This is "getting lost in the weeds" a little bit. pH 7.0-7.4ish is fine to start SLAMMING.

If you do have solid (granules) CYA just use a sock or a knee high and put it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. Squeeze it from time to time to make it dissolve faster.

The CYA is slightly acidic so when you add it through the sock it will naturally bring your pH down a little. Ideally you want to bring your pH to 7.2 for the SLAM, so taking into account the CYA addition aim for 7.4 when adding muriatic acid and it should bring you to about the 7.2 mark.

Liquid stabilizer is generally twice as expensive and half the strength of granulated stabilizer. We suggest the sock method as it doesn't dissolve easily and you don't want it sitting on your pool surface.

One more question( sorry!)... I have brushed my pool and just went back out to check on it before I go get the ph, stabilizer and more chlorine and now it is a little hazy. Is this ok? It was perfectly clear earlier. I can see the bottom fine just a tad hazy. Do you think this is from me kind of churning things up?

Yes - it's from the algae and being suspended in the water. Keep your filter going constantly and point the return eyeballs down a bit to stir up the water and get it to your filter. :) Get that stabilizer, acid, and chlorine in as soon as you can to avoid things getting worse!

Ok I got everything in! My CYA is actually 40 now. So I may have been a little off. My PH is 7.2. I haven't taken a new TA reading yet. My PH earlier was actually at 8.2 and TA was 120. Everything is going well so far.

I got the chlorine up to 12 a few hours ago and just checked and now Im at 5.5. So about to add my chlorine. Does anyone know for my pool math... how many gallons the blue jugs of bleach from the pool store typically are? And how much chlorine in them? I though it was more than 6%

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.