Just uncovered a swamp

Linkon

May 14, 2010
Howell, MI
Please help! I bought a house with a pool and dont know much about taking care of pools. I just took the cover off and it is a total swamp. I am in the process of filling it up so I can start the pump/filter. What is the first thing I should do once I get the filter going? I have one of those TF-100 test kits but have not used it yet.

Here are some pictures if it helps. As you can see, it is a really dark green but the liner is a light blue :shock: :

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Linkon,

We'll all help you get going. You are on the right track already by getting filled up and circulating.

Once you're up and running, post a set of test results for us. If the kit is a little intimidating at first, don't hesitate to ask for help.

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Hi there,
Head over to Pool School and start with the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. That should get you started. Then read the other articles, including Defeating Algae.

Now, it can feel overwhelming at first because it is alot of information to absorb, but we'll help walk you thru it. So post back here if you have any questions at all. :)

Linkon

May 14, 2010
Howell, MI
Thanks Mod Squad

So these are the tests I should do first?

FC - Free Chlorine
pH - Acidity/Alkalinity
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yeah, that'll work. There's a CC's test also but don't worry about it for now. We'll have you do that one when your pool starts to get really clear.

Linkon

May 14, 2010
Howell, MI
Ok, here are my test results:

Chlorine = 0
ph = 7.2
TA = 180
CH = 250
CYA = 40

I'm going to go get some bleach, please let me know if I should add anything else?

ssa

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2010
San Jose,CA
Your PH and CYA looks perfect. I will let the the expert comment on the TA and CH.
I think you can adjust those after you clean up your pool.

You can shock your pool now. For CYA 40, bring the FC above 16 and hold it
there for a few days.

Linkon

May 14, 2010
Howell, MI
Thanks,
I just added 4 bottles (182 oz each) of 6% bleach from Walmart. Should I wait overnight to test the FC? Should I put the solar cover on right away or wait a few days?

Linkon

May 14, 2010
Howell, MI
Just checked
FC = 5
CC = 8

So I added 2 more bottles of bleach. I have 4 bottles left, should that get me through until tomorrow afternoon?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Prob not...unless you want to run to the store. :)
Don't cover right now - shock levels deterioriate the cover faster...UV rays help destroy CCs.
You need to keep shocking until the CC is .5 or less.

Other Threads of Interest