Just tested my water for the first time...Now what?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: What typ of pool do you have? Can you update your signature please? See mine as an example. No doubt you need chlorine/regular bleach (same thing) right away, but what does your water look like? Is it cloudy at all? Any green anywhere when you brush? Let us know and we'll go from there. For now, definitely increase the FC to about 6 ppm and report back.

If you are on a well, please put that in your signature too.

The pool looks good and it is clear water. I have a 7500gal IG vinyl pool that sees a lot of sun. I vacuumed it yesterday and there was some sand and a small amount of yellow algae but nothing that alarmed me.

I added 8oz of 73% shock yesterday because it is what I have on hand. I was surprised that my FC level was still so low today. Should I add another 8oz of shock?

The pool looks good and it is clear water. I have a 7500gal IG vinyl pool that sees a lot of sun. I vacuumed it yesterday and there was some sand and a small amount of yellow algae but nothing that alarmed me.

I added 8oz of 73% shock yesterday because it is what I have on hand. I was surprised that my FC level was still so low today. Should I add another 8oz of shock?
Don't add any more shock powder.

They either add CYA or Calcium to your pool, and you don't want either of those to get much higher. Only use liquid bleach/chlorine. See recommended chemicals.

Use pool math to calculate how much liquid chlorine you need to get to around 5-7 ppm (chlorine/CYA chart). Retest each day adjust as necessary.

Your pH is on the lower side of the recommended range, so you can add the amount of baking soda that pool math says for a target pH of 7.6.
There’s no real need to do this. pH in the 7’s is fine. It will naturally drift up as you use liquid chlorine because liquid chlorine is pH neutral and you will offgas CO2. So you will end up having to add acid anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.