Just tested for the first time with the TF-100...CYA is HIGH

I converted from SWG to chlorine 2 years ago. Never had as many problems with the SWG as I have with chlorine. I have not been able to get my pool clear this summer. I am done going to the pool store so have taken matters into my own hands. Just did the first test with the TF100. I am using chlorine tablets and my CYA is high. Based on what I have read here, the tablets are the culprit. Here are my numbers:

CYA 100
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TA 170

I entered my numbers on the pool math calculator, and it says to add 145 oz of bleach and 58 oz (by weight) of washing soda or soda ash. Does this sound right? I have never used liquid chlorine or bleach - should i find a pool store that carries it or just buy regular bleach? And where do i get washing soda or soda ash?

And any chance i can have this pool cleared up in the next few days before the holiday??

The water was green when i opened it, but now it is just cloudy. Has not been crystal clear since i opened it for the summer....

I'd seriously consider replacing half the water if possible to be "4th" ready by the weekend, then follow the SLAM procedure. Regular plain old bleach from Walmart. Why do you think you need washing soda or soda ash? You don't list a ph # for us.

I agree.

Replace 50% of the water and then rerun a full set of test results.

If the CYA is reasonable, follow the SLAM Process process. If you are diligent, you should be able to get the pool mostly in shape by the weekend. But, you need to start replacing water NOW and then be committed.

Regular plain old bleach from Walmart. You'll also need 355 ounces of 8.25% bleach to raise your FC just to target level of 12 for that CYA. Much less reach SLAM level of 39. See why I suggested you do a partial drain?

Whoa! Slow down a bit.

First, when CYA reads that high, there;s a good chance it's even higher. Which is why there's Step 8 here Pool School - CYA

You need to SLAM Process and to do that you need to raise FC to about 40% of the CYA value. If CYA is over 120, your new tester won't even work! I'll cut to the punch line: you need to replace a bunch of water. Probably more than half. If you can vacuum to waste, that would be ideal, because you could try to get all the debris off the floor while you're replacing water.

And if you're going to be replacing a bunch of water, there's no point in treating it one day just to pump it out the next.

Once it's refilled and circulating and mixed, you can repeat your tests, adjust pH and raise FC to shock level for your CYA level. It's all explained in the SLAM Process article

Whoa! Slow down a bit.

First, when CYA reads that high, there;s a good chance it's even higher. Which is why there's Step 8 here Pool School - CYA

You need to SLAM Process and to do that you need to raise FC to about 40% of the CYA value. If CYA is over 120, your new tester won't even work! I'll cut to the punch line: you need to replace a bunch of water. Probably more than half. If you can vacuum to waste, that would be ideal, because you could try to get all the debris off the floor while you're replacing water.

And if you're going to be replacing a bunch of water, there's no point in treating it one day just to pump it out the next.

Once it's refilled and circulating and mixed, you can repeat your tests, adjust pH and raise FC to shock level for your CYA level. It's all explained in the SLAM Process article
Richard is spot on, vacuum to waste is how I'd get rid of water quickly. Have fun, it'll go fast.

Ok, so I need to drain at least 1/2 the water. I can vacuum to waste, although there is not a lot of debris on the floor of the pool that i can see. Then once the water is replaced and circulated, re-test, adjust PH and raise FC to shock level for CYA. Man, i think i want my SWG back!

So, I have removed and replaced what i thought to be about 50% of the pool water twice now. (It does make me nervous when the water level gets that low with having a vinyl liner.) My CYA is still 90. Do I need to do it again in an attempt to get my CYA level down more? I feel like i am fighting a losing battle with the CYA...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately yes you should replace 50% of the water again. Just remember you should only ever have to do this once because now you should understand the CYA build up and avoid the dichlor and trichlor chlorine products.

Now you know why you had problems with the SWG. Poor chemical advice from dis-interested outside people. Trust only yourself and your approved test kit.

Wait are you running a SWG? If so then I deal you're going to want your cya between 70 and 80ppm, so you may not need to replace too much more water. Although your slam levels will be a little higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.