Just switched over to salt, super confused. Please help

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone. First off, I am sorry for the stupid questions. I just switched over to start using our new SWC in our new pool. Our PB suggested to keep it at 60% and run our VSP at 2200 but as a word of info, I am not sure he is super keen on using a VSP because it adds complexity to the mix, which is why I am here to ask some questions. As I understand it, I want to run my pump basically as low as possible in order to keep the flow going on the SWC for maximum efficiency, right? In order to do this, I was going to drop the pump all the way down, run it for 5-10 min and see where the "Flow" light turns off in order to determine the breaking point, then up the speed until it comes back on. Does 5-10 min make sense or should I know sooner/later than 10 min? Also, does my plan make sense? For example, I am currently running my pump at 600 and the flow light is still green. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. The 2nd thing I am super confused on is the SWC % number. What exactly does this number represent? Some things I have read online say the SWC is either on or off (making chlorine 100% of the time) no matter what the system % is set to. I doubt this is true but I am not finding much out there. Also, is it better to run the SWC at a higher % and the pump at a lower speed or the other way around? I am totally fine to keep the pumps on 24h a day and design a schedule around everything, I am just trying to understand it all. Ugh! Thanks so much for your help!

Hey Yarzy !!! The cell needs to activate. It’s either on or off. 24 hours at 50% is the same as 12 hours at 100%. The cell doesn’t care and happily does what you tell it.

Your plan to find its activation flow / RPM is great. Start low and adjust RPM up 100 at a time. Once it kicks on, add 100 RPMs to accommodate future dips in flow from the filter getting dirty by doing it’s thing.

Other devices, heaters, water features, etc may need their own flow rate higher than the SWG. The SWG will just be happy if you are running those with lots of flow to spare.

Your cell may also work below what RPM you find you need for adequate filtering. Again set it to filter properly and the cell is just happy.

As long as the flow switch is satisfied, it doesn’t matter what your pump speed is, chlorine generation is not affected by flow rate.

SWG’s operate on a duty cycle method. When they are on, they are fully powered. When they are off, there is no power applied to the plates. Every manufacturer uses a different duty cycle ranging from 20mins to 2 hours. The % Output is simply the % amount of time the SWG is “On” for. So if the manufacturer uses a 20min cycle, then a 50% output means the SWG is on for 10mins and off for 10mins. Then the cycle repeats. 100% means the SWG will run continuously.

The PoolMath App has a feature whereby you can plug in your pump run time, output % and SWG brand and it will calculate the theoretical FC addition to your pool.

Good job on finding the lowest speed to make chlorine. Assuming that speed also gives you enough skimming action, I would use that speed as your baseline.

As for the cell being on/off, it is true that it is either making chlorine or it is not. With that said, manufacturers have added the % to help you control the output by managing the % the SWCG is running within preset time periods.

For example, running your pump 24/7 at SWCG 100%, literally produces chlorine 24/7 as well. If you still run the pump 24/7, but bump the SWCG down to 25%, the SWCG will only run 25% of that time. Someone smarter than me can give you the specific time intervals for your model, but lets say it calculates on 1 minute intervals. For a 1 minute period of time, the cell turns itself on for 15 seconds (25% of 1 minute) and is off the other 45 seconds.

Last edited:
^^^^^ exactly. It was fun to watch the readout drop down to 90W, but then I went right back to splurging all the way to 120W.

Thanks everyone!!! So please let me know if I have this correct. In theory, if I set my pump to the highest setting and keep the SWC at 60% vs running the pump at the lowest setting and keep the SWC at 60%, as long as flow is still green, I am making the same amount of chlorine. Do I have this right?

Reactions: Newdude
You got it. 60% in the reference above is on 60% of whatever run time you choose, be it 8/12/24 hours. More flow does not produce more FC. The unit is on or off the % of the time. (As long as the flow switch is happy).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent! Ok, so just a few more questions if you don't mind. How long do you think it takes for flow to be identified? Is 5-10 min enough to determine if the flow switch is happy? Also, if I am content to run my pump at say 1200 24/7 a day and find that the FC is too high, rather than adjusting the pump speed, I should just knock the SWC % a little, right? Is there ever a reason to run the pump on high speed when it comes to the SWC if flow is happy at any RPM? Thanks again!!!!

Ok, so just a few more questions if you don't mind.
Fire away anytime !!!
How long do you think it takes for flow to be identified? Is 5-10 min enough to determine if the flow switch is happy
It’s almost instantaneous. You’ll know immediately. Or 14 nanoseconds later if you can count that quick. :)
Also, if I am content to run my pump at say 1200 24/7 a day and find that the FC is too high, rather than adjusting the pump speed, I should just knock the SWC % a little, right
Yup. Perfect. We will be seeing the UV demand wane now as the days get shorted, albeit sloooooooowly. Plan on adjusting down once a month or so and pay attention as to when it’s needed. At the beginning of next year you will start real low and adjust up a few times getting to the peak season.

open, up, up, up, down, down, close. Something like that.
Is there ever a reason to run the pump on high speed when it comes to the SWC if flow is happy at any RPM?
Nope. Maybe you want to turbo skim after a storm or something. Crank up the pump and the SWG will still be happy on its own.

WOW, thank you so much! I actually understand it now. Okay, last one...my PB set a schedule to have the pump on for 23.5 hours, then from 1pm to 3pm crank all the way up to full speed. I think this may be for skimming. If I am finding the skimming fine without the 1-3pm crank up, is it needed for any other reason? How do I know when my skimming is enough? Is it just looking at the pool and seeing if there is stuff floating? I really try to manually skim each day. Any reason why they want the pump off for .5 hours? Is 24 hours fine? Seems very specific to keep off for .5 hours. THANK YOU AGAIN!

If I am finding the skimming fine without the 1-3pm crank up, is it needed for any other reason
Nope. Skimming is really all you care about and for 99 out of 100 folks the SWG will already be on for that.
Is it just looking at the pool and seeing if there is stuff floating
It’s EXACTLY that. Turning on the light at night time is the particle finder 9000. (You’ll always have some no matter what). If you feel it’s not getting enough skimming/filtering, Add some RPMs for some time. If you feel it’s great as is you can lower runtime/RPM to find the sweet spot. Just like the SWG throughout the season, demand will change. In the spring and fall you’ll need more skimming/filtering between pollen and leaves and whatnot.
Any reason why they want the pump off for .5 hours? Is 24 hours fine
Every last one of us needs to pick an arbitrary # and go from there. My own pool did everything amazing at 1200 RPM but for some unquantifiable reason, I ended up liking 1550. We all have our quirks. Forget the PBs quirks and find your own. You be you. (y)

Y,

Running 23.5 hours a day is dumb as dirt in my mind... 24/7 is ok, but 23.5 just does not make any sense to me.

It is your pump and pool now and you just need to run the pump the way it makes the most sense to you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.