Just starting out... no CYA and FC - which do I put in first?

ColoradoLinda

Jun 30, 2019
Broomfield, CO
Hi everyone! I just opened my pool. Let me start by saying that I am starting out with test strips... need to get a kit that tests CYA.. PH looks okay but the reflect no stabilizer and no free chlorine. I have six gallons of liquid chlorine being held for me... but not sure if I should start with stabilizer and then match free chlorine to it or the other way around? Pool is inground liner - 20x40, 33K gallons and I am in Colorado so tons of sunshine on it! And what stabilizer should I get? Thanks so much!!!

Put in stabilizer to get to CYA 30-50 and put in 3 ppm of chlorine to prevent algae. Test FC twice daily and maintain 3 ppm FC.

All stabilizer is 100% CYA. Use whatever brand is available to you. Don’t put the stabilizer in the skimmer. Use the sock method and dangle the sock over a return. Squeeze the sock every few hours to dissolve the stabilizer. It can take 24 hours or more to fully dissolve. Add about 2/3 of your calculated amount wait 48 hours and test your CYA. You can only lower CYA by draining your pool so you don’t want to overshoot it by much.

Use PoolMath to determine quantities.

Test strips are worthless. Toss them in the trash and get the TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared

Thank you so much ajw22! My pH is 7.4, TA is 90, and CYA is 30. I purchased liquid chlorine (10% sodium hypochlorite). Instructions on the bottle say to add it at night but they don’t say how. A pool company once put in chemicals that bleached the pattern on the “Tile trim’. I don’t want to damage it further. Lookin for advice on how to put the liquid chlorine in without bleaching the liner? Thank you so very much!

Put LC in any time of the day. Pour it in by a return with the pump running.

From Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

Did you get your test kit or still using test strips?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.