Just starting out! How are these numbers/any advice

Thethreetheory77

Apr 8, 2020
Longwood, Florida
I ordered a Taylor k-2006 test kit but it won’t be here until Monday. I’ve been using the pool master five way (I know it’s not the best) Just fired the pool company that had my levels completely out of whack. I balanced them myself with Muriatic acid and liquid chlorine from the pool store. These numbers that Leslie tested are close to what I tested but not exactly the same. Pinch a penny numbers are way different I know my chlorine is high based on cya is it still safe to swim? Leslie’s says they can tear to ten so not even sure if it is higher than that? I’m going to test in the evenings and add chlorine as needed. I would like to keep my fc around 6. I dosed last night because I didn’t know exactly what my chlorine was and I’m so afraid of algae. Is that reasonable? I’m trying my best to figure out what I am doing :) I get FULL sun almost all day, no screen. Two kids swimming daily almost all day. Any advice is appreciated. Also with a cya of 40 how often should I be testing that in Florida? Will it go down a lot or hold pretty well. Leslie’s said test twice a month and if I see it dropping add two pucks in a floater weekly to raise it. I have leftover pucks. Thanks so much and I apologize for all the questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 16
I ordered a Taylor k-2006 test kit but it won’t be here until Monday.

Did you order the C model? The K-2006C has much more reagents. You will need refills quickly using the K-2006. TF-100 is a better value Test Kits. Read Test Kits Compared

I’ve been using the pool master five way (I know it’s not the best) Just fired the pool company that had my levels completely out of whack. I balanced them myself with Muriatic acid and liquid chlorine from the pool store. These numbers that Leslie tested are close to what I tested but not exactly the same. Pinch a penny numbers are way different

That is why you should only adjust FC and pH until you get a better test kit.

I know my chlorine is high based on cya is it still safe to swim? Leslie’s says they can tear to ten so not even sure if it is higher than that? I’m going to test in the evenings and add chlorine as needed. I would like to keep my fc around 6. I dosed last night because I didn’t know exactly what my chlorine was and I’m so afraid of algae. Is that reasonable? I’m trying my best to figure out what I am doing :) I get FULL sun almost all day, no screen. Two kids swimming daily almost all day. Any advice is appreciated.

At CYA 40 you are safe to swim up to SLAM FC level of 20. See FC/CYA Levels

Test your FC daily and keep it between 6 and 10.

Also with a cya of 40 how often should I be testing that in Florida? Will it go down a lot or hold pretty well. Leslie’s said test twice a month and if I see it dropping add two pucks in a floater weekly to raise it. I have leftover pucks. Thanks so much and I apologize for all the questions.

You should be testing daily until you learn your pool. See

CYA 40 is fine for you. Try to use liquid chlorine and not pucks. You don't want your CYA to get much higher.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Did you order the C model? The K-2006C has much more reagents. You will need refills quickly using the K-2006. TF-100 is a better value Test Kits. Read Test Kits Compared

CYA 40 is fine for you. Try to use liquid chlorine and not pucks. You don't want your CYA to get much higher.

Thank you so much. That is what I thought. As soon as I saw the cya at 40 I took what was left out of the feeder. The pool company was using pucks along with whatever they were throwing in weekly. The manager at Leslie’s just said splash out and rain will dilute my cya and that once I see a dip to put pucks in the floater instead of the feeder (only two) and test after a week to see if they went back up to 40 or if I need to let it climb a little longer then stop using the pucks again. So with my chlorine at ten is it safe to test daily and if I see it drop below 6 to dose it?or what number should I see it drop to before dosing again to bring it to target? My test right now only reads to 5 buck it’s A LOT darker than what that test reads. Once the Taylor gets here I’ll be better able to see. It’s crazy having a chlorine level at ten and not being able to smell the chlorine at all! It’s wonderful actually. Swimming in public pools I could never do because they always itched the heck out of my nose and skin. I thought I had an allergy to chlorine. Who knew!

Thank you so much. That is what I thought. As soon as I saw the cya at 40 I took what was left out of the feeder. The pool company was using pucks along with whatever they were throwing in weekly.

The manager at Leslie’s just said splash out and rain will dilute my cya and that once I see a dip to put pucks in the floater instead of the feeder (only two) and test after a week to see if they went back up to 40 or if I need to let it climb a little longer then stop using the pucks again.

Please don't take advice from Pool Stores. Please!

So with my chlorine at ten is it safe to test daily and if I see it drop below 6 to dose it?

Please look at CYA 40 line in Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

You have a minimum FC of 3, a target of 5-7, and a maximum of 20.

You have a wide range to play with.

or what number should I see it drop to before dosing again to bring it to target? My test right now only reads to 5 buck it’s A LOT darker than what that test reads. Once the Taylor gets here I’ll be better able to see. It’s crazy having a chlorine level at ten and not being able to smell the chlorine at all! It’s wonderful actually. Swimming in public pools I could never do because they always itched the heck out of my nose and skin. I thought I had an allergy to chlorine. Who knew!

Are you using PoolMath?

When you see your water about 5-6 add 3 ppm of FC. That keeps your FC in a happy range.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment and you can get more specific advice.

Reactions: Thethreetheory77

Please don't take advice from Pool Stores. Please!

Please look at CYA 40 line in Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

You have a minimum FC of 3, a target of 5-7, and a maximum of 20.

You have a wide range to play with.

Are you using PoolMath?

When you see your water about 5-6 add 3 ppm of FC. That keeps your FC in a happy range.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment and you can get more specific advice.
So if I put my numbers in pool math when numbers are at 5-6 it should tell me how much to add to get it up by 3 based on the percentage chlorine I am using?

I went ahead and canceled the 2006 and ordered the tft-100 today. Can I eyeball with the test kit I have until then? I pretty much know it’s above five ppm FC based on the color. I can always dose up 3ppm if I see it drop to the five mark.

I went ahead and canceled the 2006 and ordered the tft-100 today. Can I eyeball with the test kit I have until then? I pretty much know it’s above five ppm FC based on the color. I can always dose up 3ppm if I see it drop to the five mark.

Good move!

Yes, like I said you have a wide safe range to work with. Keep your FC around the 5 ppm you can test.

Reactions: Thethreetheory77
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.