Just starting BBB - Bleach Issue

oldogface

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
Ridgeway, SC
I had to drain off 2/3s of my water yesterday to lower calcium hardness; OK, that's accomplished and now I'm a new convert embarking on BBB. I think I just hit my first stumbling block.... Mrs Dogface (yes, she wears the pants in this family!) has sensitive skin... why we went with salt water to begin. Now, she's looking at 2 - 96oz jugs of Clorox and saying "I'm not swimming in Clorox and my grandchildren are not going to swallow Clorox laced water." I'm not smart enough to explain to her why adding 116oz of bleach is not going to hurt her or the grandkids... We have used "shock" products and pucks in the past to boost the Chlorine Generator, but, she swears Clorox is going to make her break out like a newborn's diaper rash. I can't afford to go there! Somebody help!

Look on the bottle and see how much Clorox they say to use to disinfect drinking water. Use the Pool Calculator to calculate that for your pool.

I did this once, didn't keep the data, heck I'm bored and it is raining and I've already watched a movie and eaten enough popcorn with butter to gag so I'll do it. Ack, it is not on the bottle, it is online. http://www.clorox.com/products/usage.php?prod_id=clb

"Decant the clarified contaminated water to a clean container and add 8 drops of this product to 1 gallon of water (2 drops to 1 quart). Allow the treated water to stand for 30 minutes. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor. If not, repeat dosage and allow the water to stand an additional 15 minutes. The treated water can then be made palatable by pouring it between clean containers several times."

Therefore; 8 ml/gal applied to 10,000 gallon pool = 80,000 ml needed.
Convert ml to oz; 29.57353 ml/oz; 80,000ml / 29.57353ml.oz = 2,705 oz bleach
Convert oz to gal; 128 fl oz/gal; 2,705 oz /128 oz/gal = 21 gallons of bleach per 10,000 gallon pool to convert it to potable water.

Now, since you are not using *quite* that much bleach, the kids can swim in it but they should not drink it without ADDITIONAL bleach. :wink:

Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine--------only the form is different. Tell her it's all those extra 'additives' in everything else that's affecting her gentle skin! Faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many people on this board with great pools to be wrong.

Low PH will cause diaper rash---------not chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.