Just Signed the Contract in SoCal

erikpiazza

Oct 13, 2020
Fullerton, CA
Hi all,

After much deliberation and scouring these forums as well as others, we just signed with a PB for our pool. I've dreamed of doing this ever since we bought our 1960 ranch home in Fullerton, CA 12 years ago. Honestly, I never thought it would happen so I'm very excited. A little about the build:
  • 32 x 15 freeform (kidney bean) pool
  • 7' circular spa with 160 degree infinity edge spill-over
  • Large baja shelf with LED bubblers
  • Pebblesheen
  • Jandy DEV 60 Pro Series filter
  • Jandy 2.7hp varialbe speed pump
  • Jandy JXi 400k btu heater
  • Fusion Soft dual mineral and SWG
  • iAquaLink automation control
Any advice on these specs are certainly welcome. Of course, there will also be decking, turf, a new patio, fire pit and BBQ, etc but I will be building some of that stuff myself. Looks like by the time engineering and permits are done, we're looking at mid-December so my guess is the dig won't start until after the new year. Probably best for it not to be in 2020 anyway!

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
Sounds exciting!
Be ware that Jandy does not assist owners in DIY maintenance and repair of their equipment. They will respond that you need to contact a Jandy repair rep. So if you like to maintain/repair things yourself, you might consider a different equipment manufacturer.
The Fusion Soft is a good SWCG. Just be sure to NOT install the mineral cartridge.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

erikpiazza

Oct 13, 2020
Fullerton, CA
The Fusion Soft is a good SWCG. Just be sure to NOT install the mineral cartridge.
Thanks for your input! I discussed the DIY side of things with my PB and I feel ok with Jandy. I'll do basic maintenance, but I have no intention of doing any significant repairs. Can you elaborate on not using the mineral cartridge for the Fusion Soft? I know the metals can cause issues, but this was highly recommended by the PB so I'm wondering if it's a matter of maintaining proper levels or if it's just a no-go altogether.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mineral packs are never good - copper. Once copper is in, you're stuck and the consequences when copper levels get too high can be a real pain. PBs often include products in their packages based on relationships they have with distributors and not always with the customer's best interest at heart. So just make sure to remove the mineral pack and you should be fine.