Just recently built a pool a few weeks ago and trying to get my chemicals right

jnpoolz

May 29, 2020
az
Hello,

I just finished my pool a few weeks ago on a new IG build. I've been going to Leslie's. I purchased a pretty large container of chlrobrite and a large jug of the chlorine tablets. I still have a couple gallons of liquid chlorine and meuratic acid from my start up kit. I also have two containers of perfect pool weekly that came with the package from Leslies.

Just filled from the ground water in Phoenix, AZ. Here are the latest readings from Leslies.

Free Chlorine: 1.8
Total Chlorine: 2
pH: 7.9
Total Alkalinity: 102
Calcium Hardness: 168
Cyanuric Acid: 57
Iron: 0
Copper: 0
Phosphates: 0
TDS: 600

I was planning on putting in 15oz of Meuratic acid to bring the pH down a little. I don't have any trees in my backyard so i'm hoping my phosphate levels stay pretty low. I plan on scrubbing 1-2x per week. At my last house my filter was a sand filter so I was used to backwashing which helps a bit with the CYA levels. My concern now is keeping CYA levels maintained and only adding what's needed. I've read most of the Pool School and am planning on getting a better test kit but for now I have the Leslies 7 test strips. My Calcium Hardness shows a bit low. Should I leave that alone or add to bring up the numbers or any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate the support here.

Welcome to the forum!
You should take a look through Pool School. I will link a few items below. You are going to find that using that ChlorBrite and pucks will lead you to a path of a mess. Plus the test strips will not provide you meaningful data. Pool store tests do not either. We recommend getting a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.