Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Soon to be new pool owner. Ordered kit from Royal swimming pools,
16 x 32 rectangle 3’4” to 5’8” about 18000 gallons.
now I need to order mechanicals, I would like to get....
Pentair pump 342001
Pentair filter TA 60d
Pentair SCG IC20 maybe IC40
Pentair Power cell for SCG 520556
Pentair Light kit 620081 includes 2 lights and transformer
Pentair Control System 523338
Raypak 266k Heater
chose these items because a family member has that setup. So 1. what do you think and 2. is there a good internet dealer to buy from? Or would you do a different setup?
Thanks
Bo

Bo,

The pump you show is a SuperFlo VS, which can not be controlled by the automation you have chosen.

An 18K pool must have an IC40 Cell.. An IC20 is way too small.

I am not a great fan of the IntelliConnect. But it is cheap... It has two relays which could control the SWCG (A mandatory connection) and the lights. but nothing else.

I've had great luck with these guys.. Pentair Controls

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bo,

The pump you show is a SuperFlo VS, which can not be controlled by the automation you have chosen.

An 18K pool must have an IC40 Cell.. An IC20 is way too small.

I am not a great fan of the IntelliConnect. But it is cheap... It has two relays which could control the SWCG (A mandatory connection) and the lights. but nothing else.

I've had great luck with these guys.. Pentair Controls

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good evening,
New set up.
1. Intelliconnect Control and Monitoring System - 523317
2. Intelliflo variable speed pool pump 3 HP - 011028
3. Tagelus Fiberglass sand pool filter / 6 way valve TA-60d
4. Intellichlor IC40 salt cell & power center complete
5. Globrite 2 LED vinyl pool combo kit 100ft cord - 620081
6. Raypak RP2100 digital natural gas 399K BTU pool heater 009219
7. Temperature Sensor - 520272
Will this setup work? Thoughts?
Thanks for your help
Bo

I don't have a ton of knowledge on the controls, but maybe someone can chime in and tell you if the EasyTouch system would be better for you. Based on the link Jim added above, it's about $1350 with the IC40 cell included. With your system, you're at just under $1000 and you would still need a separate electrical panel. The ET system is probably $100 more expensive when all is said and done, but it may be worth exploring.

Generally speaking, people recommend the microbrite lights over the globrite. CMP also makes nicheless lights that integrate with pentair systems.

I second the recommendation for polytech. Just received all of my equipment from them. Shipped quickly and they were great to deal with. I had a filter that was damaged in transit and within 4 weekdays I had a new filter and the old one was picked up and returned to them by UPS. Nothing but great things to say about them. I also have some connections to get wholesale pricing from a couple of local dealers and got prices from them and polytech was cheaper.

Reactions: gingrbredman
The ET system is probably $100 more expensive when all is said and done, but it may be worth exploring.
Right on the money there! Pun intended. Would be a cleaner install and setup as well. For the small money difference there, would do that for sure. And while I'm a big proponent on the Intellicenter, upgrading even further up the automation chain is probably not worth it for this setup. A nice, tried and true ET may slot in very nicely here.

Generally speaking, people recommend the microbrite lights over the globrite
Again, another spot on point. Whatever you do with lights, don't go with the Globrites. Take a look around the forums, you will find what we are already telling you. Trust we have done the legwork and you can go ahead right now and plan for a different light. I went with the Microbrites, but CMP is another option. There are a few more options out there that do not have special niches that will work with the Pentair automation.

Thanks, too all that have replied. I appreciate all of your comments and advice, so with that said set up #3....
Pentair Easy touch 4PCS-IC40 W/ Screenlogic
Pentair Superflo 342001
Pentair Tagelus TA-60D
Pentair Mastertemp 400K natural gas 460805
Pentair Microbrite Color 100 ft cord x 2
Pentair transformer 619963
Again thanks for looking and your comments. It is hard to get a dealer to talk when I am just an individual. Buying 1 set up.

Bo,

The SuperFlo VS cannot be controlled by any automation system.. Don't ask me why Pentair makes a pump its automation can't control, but that is the way it is..

If you replace the SuperFlo VS with an IntelliFlo, you would have a great system.

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but I do not want to recommend a system you would not be happy with.

Filters are kind of a personal choice, but I have fallen in love with my large cartridge filter.. Why do you want a sand filter?? I am sure it will work fine, just curious why?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: gingrbredman
In an earlier post, you noted the....
2. Intelliflo variable speed pool pump 3 HP - 011028

Why the change to the Superflo? I believe you want to stick with the Intelliflo with the Easy Touch.
@Jimrahbe would be the guy I would check with (sorry, don't mean to exclude other pump experts), but Jim has had a lot of good insight on the Pentair pumps and automation.

Good choice on the Easy Touch 4. Would just caution when you are ordering, you do not accidently pick up the Light version. I believe this is the one you would want, the 4 version with the IC40
Pentair EasyTouch 4 System Pool or Spa w/IC40 Cell 520593 (polytecpools.com)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair Easy touch 4PCS-IC40 W/ Screenlogic

Bo,

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, we really need the actual P/N.. Most EasyTouch systems that come with ScreenLogic are the lite version. But any EasyTouch that comes with an IC40 is not a lite version. :scratch:

So, before buying anything we need the actual part number.

The P/N listed by gingrbredman above, 520593, is a full up EasyTouch that comes with a load center and an Internal SWCG power supply, plus an IC40 salt cell.. It does not come with ScreenLogic, which is an add on system that costs about $400 bucks. ScreenLogic allows you to use your Phone or PC to control things... Without ScreenLogic you can still control things from the main panel.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You guys are great.
Pentair Easy touch w/ salt cell P/N 520593
Screenlogic kit P/N 522620
Going to switch pump, which Intelliflo do you guys recommend? And filter I am up for and recommendations, if large cartridge is better I’m in would like to stay in the Pentair family, do you have a model you like best. My pool will will 16 x 32 3’4” to 5’8” about 18,000 gallons. Thanks for all the help. If any one thinks there is a better setup by a different brand send suggestions, I will look at it.

Bo,

Filters are kind of like cars.. everyone has their favorite, but they all get you to the same place.. :mrgreen:

I like large cartridge filters, because they are dirt simple.. Water comes out of the pump and into the filter, out of the filter and back to the pool. No multiport valve to go bad or leak, no backwashing, no DE that would be needed for a DE filter or adding to a sand filter.

My pool stays open all year.. My pump runs 24/7, and I clean my filter twice a year. If I lived in a place like Ohio, I'd only clean my filter once a year, at the end of the season to get ready for opening the next year. I run my IntelliFlo at a low RPM most of the time and my filter pressure is only about 1 or 2 lbs. My cost to do this is less than $20 bucks a month..

With a heater you'd have to run a little faster but still at a low RPM.

If you think you will need to backwash often, then a cartridge filter is not for you. That said, if you follow the TFP pool care process, you should never have to backwash..

I have the largest cartridge filter that Pentair makes, which is the Clean and Clear-520 or CCP-520..

I currently have two rent house pools that have DE filters.. Those pools have an EasyTouch with salt cell and the IntelliFlo pumps.. I no longer back wash them.. I just open and clean them twice a year, just like I do at my house. I keep hoping that those DE filter will die so that I can replace them with cartridge filters.. I'm just too cheap to do it as long as they are working.. :(

Why did you pick a sand filter to begin with???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bo,

Filters are kind of like cars.. everyone has their favorite, but they all get you to the same place.. :mrgreen:

I like large cartridge filters, because they are dirt simple.. Water comes out of the pump and into the filter, out of the filter and back to the pool. No multiport valve to go bad or leak, no backwashing, no DE that would be needed for a DE filter or adding to a sand filter.

My pool stays open all year.. My pump runs 24/7, and I clean my filter twice a year. If I lived in a place like Ohio, I'd only clean my filter once a year, at the end of the season to get ready for opening the next year. I run my IntelliFlo at a low RPM most of the time and my filter pressure is only about 1 or 2 lbs. My cost to do this is less than $20 bucks a month..

With a heater you'd have to run a little faster but still at a low RPM.

If you think you will need to backwash often, then a cartridge filter is not for you. That said, if you follow the TFP pool care process, you should never have to backwash..

I have the largest cartridge filter that Pentair makes, which is the Clean and Clear-520 or CCP-520..

I currently have two rent house pools that have DE filters.. Those pools have an EasyTouch with salt cell and the IntelliFlo pumps.. I no longer back wash them.. I just open and clean them twice a year, just like I do at my house. I keep hoping that those DE filter will die so that I can replace them with cartridge filters.. I'm just too cheap to do it as long as they are working.. :(

Why did you pick a sand filter to begin with???

Thanks,

Jim R.

went with sand filter because family member just put pool in last year and that’s what they got. They used high end PB. So look at clean and clear plus filters looks like CCP320 would work for me. What do you think?
Thanks
Bo

Last edited by a moderator:
Bo,

The larger the filter the less often it has to be cleaned and the lower your filter pressure will be..

That said, a CCP-320 should do the trick..

Let's see what some of our other members say about the filters they like and why..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Equipment has arrive! Hopefully pool kit soon. Dig date the week of April 4th. Lots of questions will be coming. Wish I would have found this site earlier ordered flex pipe with kit, will be changing it to rigid.

Attachments

• F056BA2C-C506-4510-99AB-F23CA34AB092.jpeg
    F056BA2C-C506-4510-99AB-F23CA34AB092.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 370237CB-78F3-41CE-AE5E-28E89E6B4A18.jpeg
    370237CB-78F3-41CE-AE5E-28E89E6B4A18.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8D3CA35E-D8B9-44F4-8645-7B1254127367.jpeg
    8D3CA35E-D8B9-44F4-8645-7B1254127367.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5AA3DC3B-1435-4E8D-B97A-85942B2EC644.jpeg
    5AA3DC3B-1435-4E8D-B97A-85942B2EC644.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.