Just opened

So, either your scale is wrong, you have less water than you thought, you had CYA in before you did your addition, your water wasn’t circulated enough, or the testing is wrong.

Time and re-testing will answer some of those issues.

Reactions: mknauss
So, either your scale is wrong, you have less water than you thought, you had CYA in before you did your addition, your water wasn’t circulated enough, or the testing is wrong.

Thank you! I will let everything continue to circulate and then test again tomorrow to see what I come up with.

Reactions: kellyfair

So I did another test this morning after running the SWG and pump last night:

FC 5.5 (this is rising slowly since we just started running the SWG yesterday)
CC 0
TA 50
pH 7.0
CH 80
Salt 3600
CYA 100 (on a normal test), when I did the diluted test to see how high it really was it showed 80?
Water Temp 62

So I am not sure about the CYA, should I drain some, should I just bring up the FC to 7 to match the CYA?

Help?!

I think your CYA testing may be bumpy. You should do outside on a sunny day, sun behind you. Pour to first line, glance in. If dot is still visible at a glance, pour to next line, glance again. The spot where you don’t see dot at a glance is your CYA. If you stare into tube, you will see dot.

Did your test come with a bottle of CYA standard (fake pool water) so you can see what 50 CYA looks like in your conditions?

You might also want to let your pool water sample get to room temp before testing.

7 is a good target. Not so high that it will hurt anything, but high enough to not get you into trouble if your CYA really is 100.

7 is a good target. Not so high that it will hurt anything, but high enough to not get you into trouble if your CYA really is 100.
My Taylor kit didn't come with a sample but I did follow the "Tips" section on how to do the test just as you outlined above. I also let the water get to room temp today before testing just in case that was the culprit. If I drain a little water off and put some more in it should lower it somewhat, it looks like according to the Pool Log App I should be in 60 - 90 is recommended and 79 - 80 is ideal. Should I do this first and then deal with the pH and TA since they are off as well? The Pool App is suggesting the addition of baking soda and borax to get the TA and pH in check.

If you use Borax to raise your TA to 60 or 70, that will raise your pH a small amount as well. Then you can wait and see if your pH increases a bit more on its own, or aerate some to raise it a bit more. I’m a little concerned about you adding chems though since I’m not certain your pool settings are correct (I know your capacity is 4500 but that doesn’t mean you have 4500 gallons in it right now).

You could experiment with adding borax to get to 60, then test and see where you are. If it is much higher than you expect, then you can assume your volume is less than you thought.

If you want to drain some water before you do anything else, that’s fine too.

Reactions: Kelli2
Is it possible that the water you had delivered was already dosed with CYA? I've never looked into it but I could imagine a company selling 'ready to swim' water that doesn't require the owner to add chemicals. So you'd have basically doubled up.

For your CYA testing, to get high readings means you believe the dot is disappearing. Normally (and what kellyfair's instructions are getting to) the problem is that people keep seeing the dot longer than the test intends, and read unreasonably low. But you have the opposite problem. I agree try again on a sunny day which will make the dot easier to see - but if you're reading 160 (80x2) right now, I'm not convinced you'll see a massive difference to the point that we don't still think your CYA is far too high. But first step - test a few more times.

Is it possible that the water you had delivered was already dosed with CYA? I've never looked into it but I could imagine a company selling 'ready to swim' water that doesn't require the owner to add chemicals. So you'd have basically doubled up.

For your CYA testing, to get high readings means you believe the dot is disappearing. Normally (and what kellyfair's instructions are getting to) the problem is that people keep seeing the dot longer than the test intends, and read unreasonably low. But you have the opposite problem. I agree try again on a sunny day which will make the dot easier to see - but if you're reading 160 (80x2) right now, I'm not convinced you'll see a massive difference to the point that we don't still think your CYA is far too high. But first step - test a few more times.
I am not sure if it was treated with CYA but doubt it as it was town water. I may have been unclear earlier... the 80 was already doubled, when I did the diluted test to confirm a more accurate CYA level the dot disappeared at 40, so I doubled it. I tested today since it is a bright sunny day 😁 we are currently draining about 10% and will refill (unfortunately with iron laden well water)

Reactions: BenB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure if it was treated with CYA but doubt it as it was town water. I may have been unclear earlier... the 80 was already doubled, when I did the diluted test to confirm a more accurate CYA level the dot disappeared at 40, so I doubled it. I tested today since it is a bright sunny day 😁 we are currently draining about 10% and will refill (unfortunately with iron laden well water)
Oh no... I wish I had known you were on a well. I would have advised just dealing with the higher CYA.

Have you read:
Some on the forums have success with filtering with polyfill.

Have you read:
Some on the forums have success with filtering with polyfill.
I may try that, my sand pump seems to be helping, when I backwash it is a yucky brown ( technical term)

Good luck! And share your results, maybe you need more help if it doesn’t work, but if something does work for you, maybe you help someone else!
So this afternoon the green is almost cleared up, thank goodness! Unfortunately the CYA is still high (100) but my FC is 7.5 so I figure for now I am okay. It is supposed to rain the next 4 days so hopefully it may come down some. I will retest then and may be back for more guidance :)

Reactions: CraigChing
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.