Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I just opened our 18x9 Intex above ground pool this weekend. It hold 4500 gallons and had fresh water delivered. I added 115 lbs. of salt and the 48 0z of cya yesterday that the pool calculator recommended and it is fully dissolved. I turned the SWG on today to start the chlorinating process and checked all levels. My CYA is at 100 (I did do the diluted test twice to check). My FC is slowly rising as the SWG runs but I know that I have an issue with the CYA being that high. Should I drain water now?

I just opened our 18x9 Intex above ground pool this weekend. It hold 4500 gallons and had fresh water delivered. I added 115 lbs. of salt and the 48 0z of cya yesterday that the pool calculator recommended and it is fully dissolved. I turned the SWG on today to start the chlorinating process and checked all levels. My CYA is at 100 (I did do the diluted test twice to check). My FC is slowly rising as the SWG runs but I know that I have an issue with the CYA being that high. Should I drain water now?
What is depth of pool?

By the way, it’s best to boost your FC to your target with liquid chlorine, then use your SWG to maintain.

Also, what is your method for testing CYA. Are you doing outside with sun behind you, just glancing for the dot?

So when starting you boost with liquid and add the 115lbs of salt? That won't be too much once the SWG converts? To test CYA I used the Tips section in pool school, no sun today but back was to it, hold at waist level and glance at dot. I tested 4 times and also completed the diluted CYA test once it kept coming back at 100. The Intex book said to add 1.1 lbs and maintain at 30 but the pool calculator said to add 48oz and maintain 70-90, so I am going by the calculator

So when starting you boost with liquid and add the 115lbs of salt? That won't be too much once the SWG converts?
Nope, but you also don’t add salt until you test what your current salt level is, so you don’t overshoof.

In fact, since this isn’t a new pool but one you are opening from last year, did you test for CYA before adding more? That would explain how you overshot.

Draining is the only way to remove CYA (and salt, if you are too high there as well).

Wait, you had fresh water delivered? To top off the pool, or to fill it from empty?

We had to drain all the water this year, there was only about 3 inches from last year left when I opened this year, so it was basically a new open. My salt level is slightly high too at 3600 instead of 3500

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please check your set-up in Pool Math to make sure your pool details are correct. Your results are reading as if you have much less water in the pool.

Well, that’s just really odd. I think your CYA may be lower than you think. Adding the 48 ounces to 4500 gallons of water that did not already contain CYA should not yield a result of 100. I think you should hold off on draining and let your water circulate for another day and test again.

42 oz of dry stabilizer will add 66 ppm CYA into 4800 gallons. So there was a measurement error or is now a testing error if your CYA is testing at 100.

Well, that’s just really odd. I think your CYA may be lower than you think. Adding the 48 ounces to 4500 gallons of water that did not already contain CYA should not yield a result of 100. I think you should hold off on draining and let your water circulate for another day and test again.
Will do! Should I continue to let the SWG run? I currently have it on Boost since I just put the salt in yesterday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.