Just opened our pool for the season, need help

Hello, I'm back again. We have a 14'x42" Walmart above ground pool. We just got done filling it from last year's closure. Only had 15" of water to start with. We dumped 1-1/2 gallons of bleach 10% before magic happened. It turned greenish cloudy with frothy foam and beetles started panic swimming, I could almost hear them yelling "it burns!!!"

Okay, so our dilemma, we still have 1/2 gallon of acid from last year, is still potent? Our pH is 8.0.

We have 2 more gallons of 10% bleach left, times are tough right now, can I use pool shock, that trichloro stuff if I can't find any bleach? Our chlorine level is 2. I know this is a hardcore Taylor K community but times are tough, I got what I got for now and that's what I got to work with, I can't just spit 50 bucks on a great kit so I'm using hth 6 way kit before I get asked fc cc and tc.

Also, total alkalinity is at 220, I'm sure it's our tap.

I need some help, been hospitalized before due to anxiety over this pool.

Okay, so our dilemma, we still have 1/2 gallon of acid from last year, is still potent? Our pH is 8.0.

Acid is stable and should not degrade. Use it and check the results after your water circulates for an hour.

We have 2 more gallons of 10% bleach left, times are tough right now, can I use pool shock, that trichloro stuff if I can't find any bleach? Our chlorine level is 2. I know this is a hardcore Taylor K community but times are tough, I got what I got for now and that's what I got to work with, I can't just spit 50 bucks on a great kit so I'm using hth 6 way kit before I get asked fc cc and tc.

Use your trichlor. Do you have a test for your CYA?

Do the best you can under the circumstances.

Don't worry about your TA. It doesn't matter a lot with a vinyl pool and no SWG. Just keep an eye on your pH and lower it to 7.6 whenever it gets above 8.

The pool is just a thing that can be fixed once you are in a better place. Do the best you can and we will try and help.

ajw22 Thanks for info, tips and advice. CYA last year was 55. We never drained the pool, the water just evaporated down to a foot in the pool during this summer like winter. As far as we know, it should still be the same maybe?

We're going to use our next payday to buy a quality kit K-2006 is in our Amazon cart.

Hello, I'm back again. We have a 14'x42" Walmart above ground pool. We just got done filling it from last year's closure. Only had 15" of water to start with. We dumped 1-1/2 gallons of bleach 10% before magic happened. It turned greenish cloudy with frothy foam and beetles started panic swimming, I could almost hear them yelling "it burns!!!"

Your TA is the same as mine when I first filled my pool. It was my fill water. Since your pool is relatively small, I would possibly drain and refill if you can so you can start fresh with the CYA and use trichlor or dichlor when short on LC. Dichlor contains more CYA than trichlor, though, so be sure to have a good test kit and keep an eye on it. I finally received my LC order a few days ago and up until then I was using leftover dichlor granules when I ran out of bleach. I kept it to the minimum and would keep a close eye on my CYA. Worry about the TA last. It’s not a big priority. The muriatic acid is most likely fine to use still.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.