Just opened our pool and it looks like this

joem1cha3l

May 23, 2020
NY
We bought the house last fall and had it professionally closed. I opened it up to this mess about a week ago. I had it pretty clear with just a bunch of sediment on the bottom. I put the vacuum in to do its thing yesterday and now it looks like this today and I cant get enough suction out of the skimmer for the vacuum to work effectively. Where do I start?! Im close to calling a pool company to figure it out but dont really want to spend $500+

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.24.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.24.14 AM.png
    796.7 KB · Views: 14
Welcome! Looks like my pool last year when I opened my pool for the first time at our new house.

I'll steal this response from Texas Splash, it will get you started:

Welcome! :wave: A pool with algae requires the SLAM Process. To perform a SLAM you need either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That's very important. If you don't have one, that needs to be step #1. Also see: Test Kits Compared

Don't add anything else to the water except liquid pool chlorine or regular bleach. About one gallon per day until you get the right test kit. Then post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to coach you from there.

Also review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and read/save those Vital Links below in my signature. Update your sig as well. :)

Hi and welcome! We got this SO covered!!! We will get that pretty pool clear again with your help.

Like wolf said you need a good test kit: Test Kits Compared I strongly suggest the TF-100 XL as you will use quite a bit of the regents due to the green in your pool. Look in my siggy below for the link to where to buy it.

For now can you please set up your siggy. What kind of pool (in ground) plaster or vinyl? size in gallons, kind of filter (sand), any special features, and how you are adding FC to your pool.

Here is some reading you can do to help you learn the pool language: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do will need to do a SLAM as seen here: SLAM Process

I do like the idea of vacuuming as much of the green stuff out as you can. I would vacuum to waste while having the hose adding water at the same time.

Your filter needs to be backwashed. Have you done that before?

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.