Just opened my salt water pool, now they're calling for 2 weeks of cold weather

Cliff Booth

May 4, 2020
Canada
The lows at night for the next 10 days will go down to 0-1 degree celcius (32 F), with highs of between 7-13 celcius (45 to 55 F).

The pool is almost completely full of fresh water after having let it fill all weekend.

I know that my Heat Pump and Salt Cell will not function at those temperatures, so I have 3 questions:

Over the course of the next week and half, how can I safely keep the pool from being overrun with algae given that no chlorine can be generated?

Should I add the bags of salt to the pool and turn on the filter pumps when it is full despite the low temps and the salt cell not being able to function?

Is there a risk of damaging any of the pool components (after adding the salt) if the pumps are running at those temperatures at night?

Thanks a bunch,

Welcome to the forum!
Chlorinate your pool using liquid chlorine. Canadian tire has stocked it in the past. Follow the FC/CYA Levels
Those temperatures should be of no concern. But if you wish, you can always have your pump on overnight when it is to be getting cold.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you for the quick response, my local CT does in fact have liquid chlorine for pools in stock.

I'll add the salt, start up my filter pump and monitor the chlorine levels using the FC/CYA Chart as a reference and add liquid chlorine as necessary until the weather warms up and the salt cell kicks in.

I appreciate the advice, and I hope to contribute to these forums in the future.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.