Just opened AGP.. Sand coming out of return. Help please..

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
Just opened my APG.. When I turn on my pump a large amount of sand comes out of the return and then slowly gets less and less.. The pressure is low (around 12 PSI)..

I tried backwashing and my crystal is clear and the water being discharged is also clear..

Can someone give me a list of steps to troubleshoot, please?

My filter is ginormous and I cringe to think one of the laterals cracked or something..

Thanks for any help..

Sand can typically be attributable to one of the following:
- Not rinsing long enough after backwash
- Compromised spider gasket in the multiport valve
- Damaged lateral or stand-off pipe in the filter itself. It sounds like you drained the water which should've helped unless an unusual amount of water was still trapped inside and may have expanded/cracked something during the winter.

I would start at the easiest items above before working my way down into the filter itself. Hope that helps.

Sand can typically be attributable to one of the following:
- Not rinsing long enough after backwash
- Compromised spider gasket in the multiport valve
- Damaged lateral or stand-off pipe in the filter itself. It sounds like you drained the water which should've helped unless an unusual amount of water was still trapped inside and may have expanded/cracked something during the winter.

I would start at the easiest items above before working my way down into the filter itself. Hope that helps.

Really appreciate the reply..

So I'll rinse tonight for a few minutes and see what happens..

Then, if that doesn't address it.. I'll check the spider gasket..

Then.... Hopefully I won't have to empty it all and check the laterals.. :)

Ok, first off your water level is way too low in the pool. Don't try to backwash or rinse when the water level is below half full in the skimmer opening. You won't have sufficient water to backwash or rinse the filter properly and you could also damage the pump by letting it run nearly dry.

In your second video I can see the siteglass fill with sand. That is not normal. I can also see there is a leak in the multiport valve. That may or may not be your problem. At this point you should inspect the multiport valve and make sure the spider gasket is in good condition, no excessive wear, and firmly attached to the multiport. If it is not then you will need to replace it. Some Hayward model multiport valves require you to replace the key instead of just the spider gasket. Is any water leaking out of the backwash line when the pump is on filter?

You should also go ahead and inspect the stand pipe and make sure there are no cracks. If that looks good and the multiport looks good you will need to inspect your laterals.

Yea the water level was good but from doing the backwash and rinse it took too much out. Filling it now. Here's the gasket:

Going to check the pipe now. No leaks that I can see.

ba1fa8648c72e4dc2fe676775a651ea2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, that will do it! You will need to replace the standpipe. You can reuse the sand if you scoop it out onto a tarp or put it in a wheelbarrow or buckets. I would go ahead and scoop it all out and inspect the laterals in case any need to be replaced. You can put the multiport back on and run the filter on recirculate until you get the replacement parts. You just won't be able to filter the water and you would have to vacuum to waste if you absolutely have to vacuum before the parts are replaced.

Yep, that will do it! You will need to replace the standpipe. You can reuse the sand if you scoop it out onto a tarp or put it in a wheelbarrow or buckets. I would go ahead and scoop it all out and inspect the laterals in case any need to be replaced. You can put the multiport back on and run the filter on recirculate until you get the replacement parts. You just won't be able to filter the water and you would have to vacuum to waste if you absolutely have to vacuum before the parts are replaced.

Do I have to replace the entire apparatasus? I found the manual and it doesn't have a part number for just that pipe.. It does have a part number for a lateral but not the PVC.. Is it just standard 1" PVC?

- - - Updated - - -

That was a lot of sand to be coming only from that standpipe crack. I think you may find some lateral damage when you remove the sand.

That will teach me to not drain the filter!! It wasn't on purpose.. Just completely forgot.. $75 lesson.. :(

Do I have to replace the entire apparatasus? I found the manual and it doesn't have a part number for just that pipe.. It does have a part number for a lateral but not the PVC.. Is it just standard 1" PVC?

- - - Updated - - -

That will teach me to not drain the filter!! It wasn't on purpose.. Just completely forgot.. $75 lesson.. :(
That whole thing includes the laterals. You slip it in looking like that and then fold the laterals down sort of like an upside down umbrella.

31U%2BzeYrF3L._SY355_.jpg

Use the search box up in the corner or hunt on youtube for instructions on replacing sand. I know there's some tips about filling the tank with water first and covering the standpipe while filling to keep fresh sand out of it. A shop vac beats scooping by hand, too.

Well not draining it really did a number. Lesson learned!! Cracked all the way down and the laterals just fell out.

Question.. hope you can tell but I just put all the sand on a tarp to put back in. Does it look like I should add more?

Thanks

22b7d3c2f1665e7cf1ae2d4f398cf1f8.jpg

9f3e99f7e471a01ec8978b1093cbe1c6.jpg

Well I'm back up and running. One more question.. is it safe to sweep all the sand I have on my floor? It's a considerable amount. I'm not sure how else I would do it but worried it would somehow get in the pump and jack the pump up..

Let me know thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.