Just installed new cartridge filter, two questions...

paulmaz

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Good morning-
Finally got around to switching out my old sand filter to a new cartridge filter. The Texas freeze cased some issues with my sand one, so I went ahead and bought the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter | 420 Sq. Ft. | 160301. Overall was pretty easy. See pic attached. I have two sort of unrelated questions.

1) My initial pressure is 16 PSI. for some reason I thought I read it would be in single digits. I mean it all runs good, and the force of water coming out now is much more powerful than my sand filter (can now run at lower speeds!) Is this normal?

2) As part of my Intellisync control I have a water temperature gauge. The thought of drilling into the PVC pipe to use this scares me! With the gauge and the clamp over it, will it be air tight?

TIA!
new_filter1.jpgnew_filter4.jpg

There is rarely, like never, a reason to run at full speed. In fact, I suggest you set the max speed at 3000 rpm.

What is the filter pressure at normal operating rpm?
@ 3000 is ~12 psi.

My normal pump schedule is. (default with pump. seems to work well)
2 hours @3000
8 hours @1400
2 hours @2400

Runs @ 3450 first five minutes while priming.

Lower the priming speed.

Why do you need such high flow rates? You are only skimming. Lower the flow rate to what is needed to skim the surface.

Reactions: Rich807
Paul,

Usually you run your pump to accomplish some goal... Tell us what you are trying to do during your different pump run times..

At full speed a filter pressure of 16 sounds about right to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, Marty, thanks for your responses. Honestly when I switched from a single speed to the VS, I just used the default that came with the pump. Can you guys share the schedule you use? I know everyone needs different speeds, times based on there configuration. My goals are the same as anyone...skim and turn the water over.

I will for sure lower the priming speed. Also the manual mode (which is set to 3450 right now)

Every pool is unique. Does the pool skim at 1400 rpm? If so, great, that is what you need. You are adding liquid chlorine every day, so you need the pump to run for 30 minutes or so after you add it. How long you run the pump depends again, how much do you need to skim? Turnover is not a factor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paul,

Just so that you know.. The idea that you have to "turnover" X amount of water per day is just a myth..

Your filter is there to capture all the junk that falls into your pool, it is not there to prevent algae. Chemicals are what keeps your pool sanitized and algae free.

I run my pump at 1200 RPM most of the time, because at that speed my SWCG works and my skimmers work.. As your say, your pool may be different.

Running at a low RPM can sometimes result in some bubbles under the pump lid. I ramp my pump up to 1500 RPM a couple of times a day for an hour to make sure the bubbles don't get too large.

I have a SWCG, so I run my pump 24/7 so that I am generating a little chlorine and skimming all the time. Not something anyone has to do, just something I personally like to do. The cost to do this with a VS pump at a low RPM is less than $20 bucks a month.

Skimming is different with a VS pump. I do not see "swirling water" when I look down into the skimmer.. But they work great.. I use hairnets in the skimmers so that takes a lot of load off of the cartridges. I am always amazed at how much stuff they capture.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Paul,

Just so that you know.. The idea that you have to "turnover" X amount of water per day is just a myth..

Your filter is there to capture all the junk that falls into your pool, it is not there to prevent algae. Chemicals are what keeps your pool sanitized and algae free.

I run my pump at 1200 RPM most of the time, because at that speed my SWCG works and my skimmers work.. As your say, your pool may be different.

Running at a low RPM can sometimes result in some bubbles under the pump lid. I ramp my pump up to 1500 RPM a couple of times a day for an hour to make sure the bubbles don't get too large.

I have a SWCG, so I run my pump 24/7 so that I am generating a little chlorine and skimming all the time. Not something anyone has to do, just something I personally like to do. The cost to do this with a VS pump at a low RPM is less than $20 bucks a month.

Skimming is different with a VS pump. I do not see "swirling water" when I look down into the skimmer.. But they work great.. I use hairnets in the skimmers so that takes a lot of load off of the cartridges. I am always amazed at how much stuff they capture.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I use hairnets as well, and they do capture a bunch of stuff. I will check how it skims now at 1400 and adjust accordingly. I do not have a SWCG. I add chlorine usually in evening.

All good info, and basically will save me $$$ on the run time and also the life of the equipment. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.