Just had an R/O treatment done

Jun 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My CYA and CH levels were out of control on the pool I inherited last year so I just had a reverse osmosis procedure done so I can start over.

The company that did that job was Calsaway in Phoenix. The treatment equipment is all self-contained in a cargo trailer. Once the process is under way they just leave and come back the next day. The equipment runs on a timer that is based on the size of the pool and the chemical loads they measured. They also set up a large bag in the pool where the fresh water gets pumped into to keep it from mixing in with the yet-to-be-processed water.

Here's my starting numbers:

FC 3
CC 1
pH 7.5
TA 150
CH 400
CYA ~300

After the equipment shut down last night I sampled the water from the bag and found this:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 6.2
TA 10
CH 10
CYA 0

Very clean! Keep in mind these numbers are optimistic because there's still old water to be mixed in.

This morning they added some basic chemicals. They told me they target FC=3, pH=7.0, and CYA=40. I assume they added the chems, I wasn't actually around when they showed up. I just finished testing tonight and here's the new numbers:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.1
TA 50
CH 110
CYA <20 :whoot:

Clearly I have some changes to make, but I'm thrilled to have such a good starting point. The R/O treatment did cost more than draining/refilling would have, but the results are excellent and I didn't have to worry about draining in the 114 degree heat. I would do it again. Hopefully I won't have to for years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.